turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Shotgun What do yall think? Updated DIY Camo completed

Started by CPark58, February 21, 2012, 11:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPark58

I carried My wife's Rem 1187 20 ga last year on a trip to Kansas with my dad and like it so much I sold my 3.5" 870 12 ga and picked up this little guy. Meet the "Tar Baby" a Remington 870 express compact jr (18.75" barrel)

I am making this a 100% dedicated turkey gun and aside from adding the optional factory spacers to add some length to the stock and a Gobblin' Thunder .560 choke(which can be replaced if someone has proof of a better choice) this gun is completely stock.

Here is what i have done so far...

I was leaning toward red dot but then considered my luck and really liked the idea of a fiber optic sight, especially one with such a low profile so I went with the Truglo Tru-Bead Turkey Universal Bead. I added the Final Approach featherweight sling basically because it seemed to be a quality sling and the price was right.

I also DIY Camo'd the stocks, I will paint the rest of the gun but wanted to be sure I liked the pattern I came up with before I painted metal.

I have a couple more things to do aesthetically and then trial and error until I find the right shell and choke combo.  Does anyone have a good factory shell for use with a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .560 choke?

What do yall think so far?

st8tman

Camo Looks Great! I would say you are well on your way. One Note....Midwest Gun Works has the Remington Super Full Turkey Choke rated for Hevi Shot for $9.99. I have heard rave reviews on this choke used in the short barreled 870, 1100, 11-87 guns. Good luck on your project!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: st8tman on February 22, 2012, 12:20:14 AM
Camo Looks Great! I would say you are well on your way. One Note....Midwest Gun Works has the Remington Super Full Turkey Choke rated for Hevi Shot for $9.99. I have heard rave reviews on this choke used in the short barreled 870, 1100, 11-87 guns. Good luck on your project!

the lead .572 throws better patterns than the hevishot version
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bsci21

great idea. thinking baout making my wifes 870 20 ga the dedicated turkey gun of the householod.

MERCing

Nice Combo.
I have a Rem 1100 Youth mdl with a 21 in bbl and of all the choke/ HTL combo's I have tried, a cheapie Primos Tight Wad and Hevi13# 7's has been the best combo I have found.  

I've got those same sights on three of my shotguns. After mounting the rear sight, I drill two holes thru the front part of the sight and rib, pull it off, tap the holes in the rib, cut the "wings" off of the front of the rear sight to the same width of the rib and re mount it.
I still have the adjustability but they're less snag prone and more cosmetically appealing.

SumToy

Looks good. The only thing is the chokes has holes in it.  The shot may run out the side.   :funnyturkey:

Nope looks good. :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

R AJ

Quote from: SumToy on February 23, 2012, 08:15:59 AM
Looks good. The only thing is the chokes has holes in it.  The shot may run out the side.   :funnyturkey:

Nope looks good. :icon_thumright:

And to think that I spent time going to your post to glean from your advice and comments! ;D :turkey2:

XCBlur

Awesome camo job!  How did you do the DIY?

CPark58

DIY Camo Complete. It ain't pretty but its mine. What do yall think?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Doubletap

Ol'Mossy