turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by swamp_bird89, February 21, 2012, 04:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamp_bird89

I just got access to a piece of land located outside of Hampton / Varnville, South Carolina. Probably driving up this weekend or next to give it a look and get all the property boundaries. Anybody hunt around that area? Not looking for a place to hunt just what to expect. I would greatly appreciate any info anybodys got. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

TheTwistedOne

Hunted that area for over 10 years.  The land I was hunting was leased out to someone else this year.

The birds in that area are notoriously still in bachelor groups and hens flocked up when the season first opens.  It can be frustrating but not impossible.

swamp_bird89

savduck

I hunt in Hampton. Lots of birds.

As stated before early season they are more than likely to be running in bachelor groups, but they react well and are fairly easy to call in. you will probably noticed they fly down to the hens and hang out for 20 minutes or so until they figure out the hens arent ready and then they come running. I kill em quick in SC the first two weeks.

good luck to you. 

PS.....thats small town. closest food will be in Hampton or up the road in Waterboro. Excellent BBQ around those parts.
Georgia Boy

vagrousehunter

Interesting.  I hunted the area around Ulmer-Allendale for several years and there were tons of birds.  Went back a couple of years ago and there were virtually no birds.  All of the locals were scratching their heads and wondering where all of the turkeys went.  Hopefully the birds are back because I absolutely love hunting down there.

savduck

Quote from: vagrousehunter on February 23, 2012, 10:12:43 AM
      Interesting.  I hunted the area around Ulmer-Allendale for several years and there were tons of birds.  Went back a couple of years ago and there were virtually no birds.  All of the locals were scratching their heads and wondering where all of the turkeys went.  Hopefully the birds are back because I absolutely love hunting down there.

They' re all on Creek and Belfast Plantation. The billionaire newspaper guy that owns all those plantations keeps them planted in 100s of acres of Chufa.  SC birds didnt gobble all that well last year, but they are still there.
Georgia Boy