turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any 11-87 model 83616 shooters?

Started by Cutt, February 17, 2012, 05:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Just curious with those shooting the 11-87 model 83616, or a model with the same 23in. barrel, what load and choke combo worked the best for you?

This will be my 2nd season with this gun, and only have shot some Winchester HV, and Hevi-13, while trying 3 different chokes 2 Jellies .660, .665 and the factory choke.

After last season trying these 2 loads with different shot size, and each choke, the Hevi-13 3.5 #6's with the factory tube, yes the factory tube, seemed to do the best?

The Hevi-13 3in. #7's did okay with the Jelly .665, but not that high of a pellet count at 40? Where the 3.5 #6 with the factory choke did the best all around with these combinations I tried. I realize the 6's are 3.5 as where the 7's are 3in., which accounts in the difference. But the 3.5 6's did so well with the factory tube, I decided to go with them this Spring. I honestly did not want to shoot 3.5's, but this gun seems to like them the best? And what's surprising, is with the factory choke too.

Has anyone else picked this factory Wingmaster Turkey/Predator choke tube over popular tubes, like I stated?
Or what load and tube combo worked the best with your 11-87 with a 23in. barrel? thanks

bullet355

I'm shooting an 870 with a 23" barrel. I tried a 665 Jelly Head last year, and although the numbers in the 10 were almost identical with the factory choke the factory choke gave a lot more even patten than the Jelly Head.
I think I'm going to try a Pure Gold this year, because I wasn't really satisfied with either. Shooting HV 13 3.5 #6

Cutt

I thought there would be more that use an 11-87 with a 23incher?

Cutt

Most not be too popular among Turkey Hunters? ???

allaboutshooting

I shoot 2 Remington 11-87s and have 24", 26", 28" and 30" barrels for them. I have a 21" barrel for my 870s but I don't have a 23" barrel for any of my Remingtons.

I've found that when you go shorter than 26" it can be much more challenging to get the types of patterns with the high numbers that we see and read about.

I'd make sure that barrel is very tight in the receiver. The only thing that holds those barrels tight in the receiver is the magazine cap, so if it's not tight, the barrel can move when the gun is shot. That's a bad thing and can scatter the shot. That's magnified on the shorter barrels.

I recommend hand tight and then 3-4 more clicks with some padded pliers. It's also good to mark the cap and the forend so that you can always make sure it's in the same place and has not shot loose.

I'd deep clean the barrel and try that with what you're shooting. If you're still not satisfied, I have some recommendations that I can make.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Cutt

Thanks for the avice, it's not that I'm not satisfied, just curious as to those shooting this, the best load and choke they came up with?

I haven't tried many combinations, but I'm happy with the Hevi-13 3.5 #6's with the factory Wingmaster choke. Although did not really want to shoot the 3.5's if not needed, but afterall that's why I got this gun to have that option? This gun to me just seems to like the bigger loads?
?
The Hevi-13 3in. #7's with 2 Jellies .660 and .665, did okay, but was not that impressive as compared to other patterns here with the same load?

So far the factory Wingmaster outperformed the jelly .665 in the Hevi 3.5in 6's. No comparison to the Jelly with 3in. 7's, so at this point will go with the 3.5 6's and factory tube. So also was just curious if others find this factory tube outperforming brand name tubes, or know of another combo that has worked well? Thanks

SKFOOTER

What exactly are you calling the factory Wingmaster??

Cutt

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 29, 2012, 09:44:37 AM
What exactly are you calling the factory Wingmaster??

This is a Remington Super Mag Sureshot Sportsman Turkey model that came with a specific Turkey choke, but has no restriction # on it? Just labeled Remington Rem Choke Wingmaster HD Turkey/Predator.

SKFOOTER

Cutt

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 29, 2012, 04:34:25 PM
Mic it and see what size it is?

I did once, but forgot, just mic'ed it again, getting around .670

gooblnfever

i shoot a rhino .660 with nitros and it perfoms great out of my 1187 23"barrel

jfair

Hey Cutt.  I shoot the 11-87 with 23" barrel also.  I found the same results as you have.  The factory choke I believe it is .667 constriction but don't quote that as fact.  This choke and the .665 Jellyhead shoot fairly close numbers for me with the Hevi...  240 with the 7's and 190 with the 6's.   Keep us up to date on how it's shooting. 

Cutt

Quote from: gooblnfever on February 29, 2012, 07:28:54 PM
i shoot a rhino .660 with nitros and it perfoms great out of my 1187 23"barrel

but what kind of numers are you getting and what load? I don't live and die by the 10in. circle at 40 yards, although it is avery good comaprision gauge.

For example, why I did not decide to go with the Hevi-13 3in. 7's this year?
The Jellyhead .660 averaged around 160 @ 40 yards(3in. #7's)
The Remington Choke averaged around 180 @ 40 yards(3in 7's)
I personally thought these #'s with 7 shoud be higher, so opted for 3.5's

With Hevi 13 3.5 #6's
The Jellyhead .665 averaged 185 @ 40(3.5 #6's)
The Remington Choke averaged 215 @ 40( 3.5 #6')

In both cases the Wingmaster Remington choke did better than 2 Jellyheads, and the 3.5 6's did thebest overall. And these #'s were after a good cleaning and polishing.Thanks

And also forgot to add the Remington choke with Hevi-13 3.5 #6's was also putting up basically the same numbers as the few 3.5 Hevi-13 #7's I tried with both Jellyheads. This is what really steered me to the 3.5 6's and the Remington choke. In my case I figured why even shoot 3.5 #7's, when I can get basicallythe same count  with 3.5 6's and the Remington choke?

jfair

Guess I should have said I was shooting the 3.5" shells also.  215 with the 6's is pretty darn good.  I would be very happy with that.  I orderd a box of the Federal heavyweight 6's to try.  I know they aren't gonna have the numbers, but if they are close, 15g/cm at 1300 fps would be nice.  Have you tried them yet?

Cutt

QuoteI got the exact same gun/choke.  That choke is .687 restriction.  I just looked it up on the Remington site.

Also, I guess you didn't know but probably now realize that Remington makes a damn fine choke.  I've always used the rem choke (and a couple others here and there).  But I always come back to the Rem choke.  A rem choke on a Remington gun is hard to beat.

That definitely looks like the same choke, same exact writing, but I've measured this thing a dozen times since you posted. This choke is .670 -.672 max? I also remeber looking this up last year as I was curious about the size, and thought I remember seeing .672, which I could see, but no way this one measures .687?
Wonder if they vary a bit between gun models?

And no I did not realize, to be honest with all the talk of certain chokes, I actually tossed this one aside and didn't even consider it? , Bought 2 other popular chokes, didn't get the results I thought I should, so tried the factory one to compare, and was really surprised? Just figured I'd be better off with a brand name tube, but not seeing that compared to the factory one, Thanks