OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20ga question

Started by miketphoto, February 17, 2012, 11:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketphoto

My son and I are just starting to hunt and will be trying for turkeys in April.  I have seen all of the great info on chokes/loads for the Mossbergs on here.  Does anybody shoot the full choke that comes with the gun? I am going to pattern with it and a few loads to see how it looks. Just curious if anyone has done the same.  We both have 500s mine has the 26" barrel and his is the compact with the 21" barrel.

Thanks

dawei

Quote from: miketphoto on February 17, 2012, 11:25:50 AM
My son and I are just starting to hunt and will be trying for turkeys in April.  I have seen all of the great info on chokes/loads for the Mossbergs on here.  Does anybody shoot the full choke that comes with the gun? I am going to pattern with it and a few loads to see how it looks. Just curious if anyone has done the same.  We both have 500s mine has the 26" barrel and his is the compact with the 21" barrel.

Thanks
I can recommend three Pb loads that pattern well in my Mossberg® factory Full choke like yours...........
• Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #5 (#PFC258 5)
• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 (#STH2034)
• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #5 (#STH2035)

Please understand that conventional wisdom dictates the use of smaller shot (#6, 7) because you have less far less capacity in a 20ga. Start with Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 3" Mag 1185fps 1 5/16oz #6 (#PFC258 6) and go from there.

I am very fortunate that my 20ga Mossberg® does well with larger shot (4) and is the exception to the rule; a real anomaly if you will.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given