OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sumtoy choke

Started by WW, February 17, 2012, 10:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

Well, I tried out the 650 sumtoy at 40 yards and I got 104 in a 10'' circle.....Now my barrel hasn't been polished and it's about 3 years old. That's plenty good enough for me to kill turkeys with! Shot was hevi 13 #6 3.5 inch.

I got about 250-260 in a 10'' circle at 20 yards.

SumToy

Quote from: WW on February 25, 2012, 09:11:05 AM
Well, I tried out the 650 sumtoy at 40 yards and I got 104 in a 10'' circle.....Now my barrel hasn't been polished and it's about 3 years old. That's plenty good enough for me to kill turkeys with! Shot was hevi 13 #6 3.5 inch.

You did something wrong or have a problem.  Got to fix that.  ???
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Something is seriously wrong there.

Are you shooting the 2.25 ounce 6's or the 1.75 load?

chatterbox

Quote from: SumToy on February 25, 2012, 09:13:55 AM
Quote from: WW on February 25, 2012, 09:11:05 AM

You did something wrong or have a problem.  Got to fix that.  ???
Im agree. You should have double that number from that shell at 40. There are lead loads that do better than that.

WW

I did nothing wrong.....I don't know how I could have done something wrong shooting a still target, The target was a 4x4 piece of cardboard and most of the shot was in the circle.  A lot of you fellas are shooting 7's, 8's and 9's and that's a big difference from 6's. I do agree, it should have more than 104, but what else is there to do other than polish my barrel? The load was a 2 1/4 oz load. I tried a different gun with another name brand choke and 4 different shells and never got over 100 pellets with either gun at 40 yards. The Sumtoy did the best out of the 4 chokes I tried also.

SKFOOTER

Sounds like you counted the pellet holes in the existing circle.  You should have drawn a 10 inch circle around the densest part of your pattern after you shot.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 25, 2012, 11:54:52 PM
Sounds like you counted the pellet holes in the existing circle.  You should have drawn a 10 inch circle around the densest part of your pattern after you shot.

Yep. That's what it sounds like

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 25, 2012, 11:54:52 PM
^^^
this

WW

Yeah, that's what I did. I drew the circle and shot. For those of you who turkey hunt, do y'all aim to the left, or right or wherever the main point of impact is, when shooting a turkey? If so, that would really stink in my opinion, to have to put the bead somewhere other than on the turkey head. Thanks for the feedback!

chatterbox

Quote from: WW on February 26, 2012, 08:52:00 AM
Yeah, that's what I did. I drew the circle and shot. For those of you who turkey hunt, do y'all aim to the left, or right or wherever the main point of impact is, when shooting a turkey? If so, that would really stink in my opinion, to have to put the bead somewhere other than on the turkey head. Thanks for the feedback!
What you need to do is draw the circle AFTER you shoot. It sounds to me that you need a sight system other than your bead to correct your POI/POA issues.
What you need to do is shoot, draw a circle around the densest part of your pattern, then correct your gun to hit where your highest 10" circle numbers are.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: WW on February 26, 2012, 08:52:00 AMYeah, that's what I did. I drew the circle and shot. For those of you who turkey hunt, do y'all aim to the left, or right or wherever the main point of impact is, when shooting a turkey? If so, that would really stink in my opinion, to have to put the bead somewhere other than on the turkey head. Thanks for the feedback!

Shooting the equivalent Kentucky windage is a poor way of aiming.

Many shotguns have slight point of aim vs point of impact issues but most shooters choose to reconcile these symptoms with adjustable fiber optic sights, red dots, or scopes.  

If the discrepancy between poa/poi is large, a red dot or scope is typically used.  Correspondingly, if the discrepancy is small, the issue is easily resolved with a fiber optic such as a Williams firesight or truglo magnum gobble dot.

You need to go back to the patterning board and re-evaluate your pattern first by determining where the core of your pattern is in relation to your point of aim.  Draw a 10" circle around the core, establish your pellet count, and then determine what aiming system you want to use to correct the issue.

I assure you, your pellet count is far higher than 104 with the sumtoy .650 and 2.25 ounce hevi 13 6s.

SumToy

Quote from: WW on February 26, 2012, 08:52:00 AM

I think you have a POA/POI problem.  You not but a few hours away so mail it to me or ride down we will try to fix the problem with one of my other chokes or some of the ones you have.  May need to bend the barrel or put sights on the barrel.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

WW

Thanks fellas for all the great feedback! So, to correct the P.O.I., I'll have to get a scope or a fiber sight? I hate scopes for turkey hunting personally, I just can't bring myself to do that since I like the factory bead sight. . I'm gonna shoot again today and I'll see exactly where the majority of the pellets are and do a count.

chatterbox

Quote from: WW on February 26, 2012, 09:39:22 AM
Thanks fellas for all the great feedback! So, to correct the P.O.I., I'll have to get a scope or a fiber sight? I hate scopes for turkey hunting personally, I just can't bring myself to do that since I like the factory bead sight. . I'm gonna shoot again today and I'll see exactly where the majority of the pellets are and do a count.
:icon_thumright:

duckaholic25

Quote from: WW on February 26, 2012, 09:39:22 AM
Let us know what you get.