OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locator call or let the woods come alive

Started by NCDEADEYE, February 16, 2012, 09:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 16, 2012, 10:16:19 PM
I let the woods come alive on it's own. If I don't hear anything say an hour after daylight then I will use a locator call as a last resort.

Same here

PALongspur

I prefer to let the woods wake up on its own. If I'm still waiting to hear a gobble after every other bird is awake I will start hen calling. I very, very rarely use a locator, with the exception of a crow call when I'm trying to slip closer to a turkey already on the ground.

slb9981

I like to hoot also. Really want to know where that bird is as soon as possible.

TANK

I alwaye let the woods wake up then if I haven't heard anything in a reasonable amount of time I'll then start with a owl hooter......... :funnyturkey:

Dinger

Out here in Wyoming, Nebraska and Colorado....usually at night when the birds are firmly roosted...say around 09:00 PM, I go out and howl on my coyote call.  Find the roosted birds that way for the next morning.  I sometimes use it in the morning too.  I have used crow calls in the past during the day with limited success. 

RS

Usually just let the turkeys do what they're going to do. I've had very limited success with locator calls.

busta biggun

I am so glad to see this thread. I really think there are a lot of hunters out there that just love being able to make turkeys gobble because "they can". In my opinion, the ONLY reason to use locator calls is if you are covering a large area, or an area that you are not familiar with. I usually know my spots and know the areas they like to roost. So I just set up and wait for them to gobble on their own. If their roost area varies a lot, then using an owl call makes sense.

The only other time I ever use locater calls is after they fly down and the gobbling stops. When I am moving around I use a crow call SPARINGLY to see if I can locate a bird so I don't crest a hill and spook him.

I am amazed how people are so proud of themselves using locators in the dark. I even see that in "professional" videos. The turkeys are gobbling their heads off, they are already set up, etc. and for some reason they start honking on owl hooters to make them gobble. Keep in mind, you could blast away on a tuba and they will gobble their heads off. Then fly the other direction just as soon as the sun comes up.

headbanger

If I am on unfamiliar ground I will hoot. If on the ol stompin grounds I'll set up based off of knowledge of what the birds GENERALLY do and adjust accordingly.

headbanger

Dinger

I am amazed how people are so proud of themselves using locators in the dark.  Hey, Busta Biggun, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  In the first part of your thread you warrant the use of locators in unfamiliar territory and then you chastise somebody for using them in the dark.  There are natural sounds in the woods that make turkeys shock gobble...ie, car doors, gates slamming shut or truck horns.  I certainly wouldn't bring a tuba to the woods nor would I keep using a locator after I have located a bird.  Hell, using a soft hen yelp or cluck in the morning makes the gobblers gobble.  I think this whole thread started out asking who uses locators and who does not.  I was just wondering if you would clarify your position..... :help:

catdaddy

Quote from:  link=topic=18176.msg201255#msg201255 date=1329497878
If nothing's gobbling, I'll hoot.  Or if I am checking different places early, I'll hoot before leaving a spot to go listen somewhere else.

Me too Hawg.

turkeywhisperer

If its an area that I know then let the woods and turkeys do their thing on their own.  If I don't know an area or where the birds are roosting then use a locater call.

busta biggun

Quote from: Dinger on February 17, 2012, 11:04:46 AM
I am amazed how people are so proud of themselves using locators in the dark.  Hey, Busta Biggun, I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  In the first part of your thread you warrant the use of locators in unfamiliar territory and then you chastise somebody for using them in the dark.  There are natural sounds in the woods that make turkeys shock gobble...ie, car doors, gates slamming shut or truck horns.  I certainly wouldn't bring a tuba to the woods nor would I keep using a locator after I have located a bird.  Hell, using a soft hen yelp or cluck in the morning makes the gobblers gobble.  I think this whole thread started out asking who uses locators and who does not.  I was just wondering if you would clarify your position..... :help:

Hey Dinger I am glad you asked because I didn't mean to be confusing. I stated in my post, but will re-iterate. There are definitely situations, that I described where I find them to be extremely helpful. My comment about using locaters in the dark was indeed confusing. There is nothing wrong with using them in the dark. What I meant was a lot of people head out before sunrise and just start hooting in the dark, every morning, no matter what. I described examples that i have seen numerous times in real life and in videos where the hunters are set up, the birds are gobbling, and they start owl hooting. I think that is completely unnecessary. I am also trying to say that many hunters like to use really loud, un-natural sounding locaters that will make turkeys gobble, but it also makes them not want to come fly to you when the sun comes up. I even used to do it when I first started hunting because I had seen it. I used to owl hoot extremely loud, and a bird or birds would shock gobble, but I shocked way too much and they pitched out even before normal flydown time. I took pride that I could always make a bird gobble when others could not. I couldn't help but notice that I laid it on too thick way too many times. I was hooting was louder than any owl was capable of.

Sorry if I sounded sanctimonious or contradicing myself.

drenalinld

Busta, I had to learn that same lesson. Getting them to gobble is not always best if you spook them or other birds in the process. The same goes for hen calling. The loud stuff may get him to gobble, but may move him the other way.

El Pavo Grande

I like to let the morning unfold on it's own.  Even while preseason scouting I usually sit and patiently listen. 

I have been listening to turkeys gobbling and heard vehicles screech to a halt, slam the door, hoot or blow a call, and the turkey not gobble.  Not even giving much time, they slam the door, and sling gravel going to the next spot.  A little while later the turkey resumes gobbling.  I think you can learn a lot sometimes, just slowing down a bit and listening.