OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locator call or let the woods come alive

Started by NCDEADEYE, February 16, 2012, 09:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDEADEYE

Seem for me to have better look letting woods come alive natural than trying to locate birds. feelings??

drenalinld

I prefer it to happen on it's but tend to get impatient.

TennLongspur

When hunting an area where I know the birds will be roosted in a particular area I let things happen as they would if I were not even there. I might do a soft tree call at fly down time, gauge the birds temperature and go from there. If I have no idea where the birds are, there really isn't any choice but to crank on a locator. I have never had any luck with an owl hoot. Occasionally a crow call will work but I like something they don't hear used much - maybe a goose call all, something like that.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

bonemonger

i try to let it happen on its own. i find if the birds are vocal on their own it translates into great early action. when they are quiet it is mid-morning till action picks up for me.

DC1.

I like to let them start up on there own .  

WildTigerTrout

I let the woods come alive on it's own. If I don't hear anything say an hour after daylight then I will use a locator call as a last resort.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

bgbuck153

I try to let them go on their own until I know they should be gobbling and if there not I will start crankin on the crow call.

NCDEADEYE

if i slip before hammering a crow call, i will bust them everytime. My luck walk right under roost tree.   

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I let nature orchestrate its own symphony.

It's during that period of uncertainty that my soul is rejuvenated by nature and my mind is captivated with the nostalgia of the battle that lies shortly ahead.

delta hunter

Wow! That sounds like something written in a poem or a romantic novel

njdevilsb

It depends.  Lots of times, I know almost the exact tree they are sitting in when I go after them unless they did some tree hopping, so there's no reason to try and locate them.  If I lose sight of them before they roost, I'll usually try a short locating sequence, just to have an idea where to setup.

mfd1027

Geez!  I feel like the Lone Ranger here. lol   I love to hoot and my goal isn't necessarily to force a shock gobble.   I feel like I'm part of the orchestra and I hoot as much to start up the band and get other owls sounding off as anything.   Many times it will start a chain reaction and I'll be able to get an idea of where I might head next if I'm not successful at my first spot.   

Man, if I could just come up with a way to simulate a clap of thunder I'd be a gazillionaire.   Maybe a couple of cymbal's. :you_rock:
Dan

K9Doc

I want him to gobble as early as possible.  I owl call early and often.   That allows me to move in as close as possible before he hits the ground and gets to the hens.
The closer I get, better chance to harvest a bird.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

mossy835

In my case a crow call if I arrive late in the evening where I hunt and I only have two days to score. We have located them in the evening for the morning hunt and then it is silence until they come alive.

handcannon

If I know where they are, I leave them alone. If I am in a new area or just not sure of there location, I'll give em a hoot or two.