OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas

Started by jtw, February 21, 2011, 11:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtw

Hey guys, I am trying to get a trip planned to go to Kansas this spring. I have never been out there but have read great things about it. As of now, its just me and another buddy going but I would like to get a couple more to split the costs. We are planning to go public land. Does anyone have any advice or info that has been there?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot

Hootowl

This will be my 1st year as well, and we have 4 going, we are Lucky enough to be hunting private land and some Public land as well. I wish you luck. I was wondering on the weather myself. If any one from that way could give me a heads up on the weather temps, I sure would like to here? 

Hey jtw,   Best of luck, what part of Kansas are you going to? we are headed to  El Dorado Kansas.

honker22

I hunted NE Kansas last year around the 3-4 week of May and the weather would be Hi-low 80s Low-mid 40s.  The wind is always gonna blow, I heard very few on the roost, bc of the wind.  We had our best success, driving and spotting them in cut corn fields and then setting up.  There was some type of large Gnats that drive us crazy.  No amount of deet would keep them away, just hope for high winds.  Don't be shy in knocking on doors and visiting co-ops and asking for permission.

Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

jtw

Thanks for the info. I am not sure where we are going yet. I am just trying to find out as much info as possible. I have been looking at Kansas DNR website and visiting other forums as well

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

schuylkillspur

You hav nothing w/o FAITH

SinGin

We have been hunting around Salina the last 5 years so it's the Rio's we hunt. Always expect rain and or wind. We try to hunt the first weekend of May and have always had good luck. The Rio's out there seem to be a little easier to hunt than the Eastern's here in Mo. Good luck

Jay

Last year was my first hunt in Kansas, and spent a lot of time scouting Public land. I did end up putting down a real nice Tom, and I'm a lot more confident with my options this year. Sometimes when you hit new areas, you end up setting up future hunts more than filling tags. Find an area with a lot of Public, so you increase your options.

bustedspur

There are NO turkeys in Kansas   :newmascot:

jtw

Thanks for all the help guys. I have talked to a couple guys on the phone and I also called Kansas DNR and asked a few questions. From what I hear, its not to hard to get permission to hunt just as long as you ask first. (wish it was like that here in AL). My main decision right now is to decide when to go.

jtw

If anyone might be interested in going let me know. As of now its just me and possibly a buddy of mine but he's not sure yet.

Basser69

Quote from: jtw on February 22, 2011, 09:35:33 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have talked to a couple guys on the phone and I also called Kansas DNR and asked a few questions. From what I hear, its not to hard to get permission to hunt just as long as you ask first. (wish it was like that here in AL). My main decision right now is to decide when to go.

jtw, Where are you at in AL? I am just south of B'ham.

jtw

Quote from: Basser69 on February 24, 2011, 01:34:34 PM
Quote from: jtw on February 22, 2011, 09:35:33 AM

jtw, Where are you at in AL? I am just south of B'ham.

I am a hour north of B'ham in Fort Payne.

mudhen

Quote from: bustedspur on February 21, 2011, 08:00:37 PM
There are NO turkeys in Kansas   :newmascot:

This is not really a joke for parts of KS!

I've been hunting east & southeast Kansas for the past 12-13 years, and the past three years have been dismal, just miserable.  The ice storms and blackhead have reduced a very strong flock.  We are passing on KS & MoMo this year, there are much better places to go while KS & MO get back on track, which I hope doesn't take too long...

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka