OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 vs Nova

Started by Cory, February 16, 2012, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Getting ready to buy a shotgun for turkey season, and I'm not sure which would be the better buy for me. Not sure about the new 870's but looking more so at the older (used) ones. They seem to be around $300.
Or maybe a new Nova from Acadey for around $370.
(also trying to get my post count up for the classified section)

Britton40

870. Go buy it. End of conversation.

joshb311

My buddy bought the 870 on the same day I bought my Nova. I have shot his numerous times and feel as though the Nova is a better gun in overall quality and simply is more pleasurable to shoot in my opinion. It just feels better to me personally. I can't handle a 3.5" shell in the 870. It absolutely rattles my teeth. I can shoot a 3.5" with my Nova. It packs a thump but I can handle it. Also the Remington never really fit me. The Nova feels more comfortable in my hands.

The Remmies do usually come with a few more goodies with the 870 than what you get with the Nova if you pick one up new. The 870 has a ton of accessories out there as well.

They both have their upsides and down, but for me the Nova just seemed to be the way to go. The simplicity of the field stripping was a big upside for me as well. I shoot my shotguns a LOT and it takes a total of about a minute to completely field strip the gun all the way down to removing the trigger group. Makes cleanup after a day out shooting a breeze. 

Reliability is another selling point for the Nova to me. I have put mine through hell and back again and it still functions flawlessly. 

billinsd

Isn't the Nova a little heavier than the 870?

rebelman

Quote from: billinsd on February 16, 2012, 08:57:03 PM

Yes it is. That is about the only thing that I don't like about mine.

joshb311

Quote from: rebelman on February 16, 2012, 09:00:31 PM
Quote from: billinsd on February 16, 2012, 08:57:03 PM

Yes it is. That is about the only thing that I don't like about mine.

The Nova is 7.9lbs in the 26" model.
The 870 is 7.25lbs in the 26" model.

It's not much difference, but the Nova is slightly heavier. I have noticed that barrel of the Nova seems to be where the majority of the difference is.

I personally feel that the weight difference is what makes the Nova easier to handle the recoil from heavier loads.

bustinbirds

I have em both and hands down the 870 is the better gun. Its a tighter gun the Nova is a rattle trap. Not to mention the 870 throws a better pattern. JMO
Lifelong member of The Tenth Legion

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Cory on February 16, 2012, 06:27:55 PM
Getting ready to buy a shotgun for turkey season, and I'm not sure which would be the better buy for me. Not sure about the new 870's but looking more so at the older (used) ones. They seem to be around $300.

I own both of them and like both of them but to me they have an entirely different feel. There are more options available for the 870 and barrels usually more available and less expensive for the 870, should you want to get another length barrel in the future. Other than that, I'd be happy with either one.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

westtennhunter

I been shooting 870s for years. I was gonna buy a nova until I shot one on a two day duck hunt. It was a jamming rattle trap. I wouldn't have one. Just my .02.

tyelper

i just bought a new one about a month ago, i have 3 870's and every one of the out preform the benelli, worst 575 i ever spent,,,,,,,,,870 hands down,,,,,,,,

FttFttVroom!

A couple friends bought the first model of the nova when it came out.  Dunno about the newer ones, but these were bad about jamming and the rattling forends just soured them on the guns.

Cory

Well I went ahead and bought a shotgun today.
I picked up a 870 Super Mag with a 23" barrel in mossy oak Bottomland.
I handled a used Nova and like someone said before the thing rattled ALOT.
Anyway now I need to pick out a choke and shell combo.

tyelper

there are alot of remington brothers on here and a good variety of combo's im sure some one will lead you in the right direction,,,,,,

redleg06

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 16, 2012, 10:16:34 PM
Quote from: Cory on February 16, 2012, 06:27:55 PM

I own both of them and like both of them but to me they have an entirely different feel. There are more options available for the 870 and barrels usually more available and less expensive for the 870, should you want to get another length barrel in the future. Other than that, I'd be happy with either one.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks,
Clark

Same here.... If I could have customized the Nova as easily as my 870, I would have never switched to the 870 as my "go to turkey gun"

FttFttVroom!

My 870 SM loves a kicks .665 with lead and Winchester XRHD.  Jellyhead .660 for the hevi-shot.