OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Handheld GPS?

Started by HoggleGobble, February 16, 2012, 12:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

Cove

I had a plain ole Garmin Etrex for years and years, it did what it was designed to do but I had no idea on what all I was missing out on. Last year I got a Garmin Oregon 400, wow. I downloaded the 100k topos and they are a big help.

Houndstooth Game Calls

What ever it maybe it better be a I have used all of them in forestry and the 60csx is top notch for the professional world of forestry it's not a survey tool but it's the best hands down. I am sure the one I have is Csx series I will get the 24 scale topo card with it!!

X-Tennessean

I have a Garmin 60 CSX but have not messed with it much, honestly I have no idea the capabilities of it !! What maps or cards would you guys recommend getting for it ?
I actually have a GPS app on my phone that I use more than anything, it is pretty dang neat ! Back Country Navigator is what it is called and I think it cost $10, doesn't work to well if your not in 3G though. Use's Google Earth for aerial's and can get topo's on it as well. Would like to utilize my Garmin though if ya don't mind passing along some info  :)

WildSpur

Delorme fan here.  I am using the discontinued pn30.  Waterproof and no problems with batteries.  Must note that the device comes with topo maps.  I am not sure if they still come with a credit for aerial photos or not.  If not for $30 a year you can download all you want.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

mrclif

My is the older 430 I think the new one is the model#450 all the rhino models have alot of the same features just the higher the model number the more bells and whistles it has.If you get one you wont be dissappointed
Quote from: HoggleGobble on February 16, 2012, 04:46:50 PM
Quote from: mrclif on February 16, 2012, 03:26:45 PM
Garmin has the best units by far,my favorite has been the rhino model got the top or the line model five years ago and its never missed a beat still running orginal battery recargeable lithuim ion. I've got the top of line Lowrance endura series with up grade topo maps,24k versus the 100k maps in the garmin. The endura has some  neat features like waypoint icons that are better for hunting.
Garmin has 24k topo maps offered now.
Garmin is the best by far in my experinces,operation and customer service.The rhino has features nobody else has touched on for instance if your hunting with somebody and they have a rhino you can poll their position and theyll show up on your map or when ever they key up it shows where their at. It elimanates having to have a radio and gps also has weather radio and you can set to come on automatically when warnings are issued. I keep it on my headboard of my bed when the weather is bad,its good at waking ya up when tornado warnings go off. Which is more common than you want here in Alabama.

Which Rhino unit?
My is the

mrclif

Quote from: X-Tennessean on February 16, 2012, 10:14:23 PM
I have a Garmin 60 CSX but have not messed with it much, honestly I have no idea the capabilities of it !! What maps or cards would you guys recommend getting for it ?
I actually have a GPS app on my phone that I use more than anything, it is pretty dang neat ! Back Country Navigator is what it is called and I think it cost $10, doesn't work to well if your not in 3G though. Use's Google Earth for aerial's and can get topo's on it as well. Would like to utilize my Garmin though if ya don't mind passing along some info  :)
Get the 24k topo map micro sd card,Aerials are nice sometimes but in wooded areas they aint no help.

turkey slayer

Can't go wrong with garmin!

Grunt-N-Gobble

I'm pretty sure mine is a Garmin Oregon 450.  Bought it new last year to go to Colorado elk hunting.  Touch screen.

Had to buy an SD card for it and downloaded my own maps (for free) of the area I was hunting.  It worked very well.

Had to re-calibrate NORTH on it the 2nd day of hunting, but other than that, it was pretty accurate and worked great.  Kept me out of the private land I was hunting near.  I really liked the map overlay ability of the unit.

CASH

Out of a Magellan and two Garmins that I've had, I like the Garmin eTrex 20 the best.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Fullfan

I have a Garmin etrex vista hxc and a oregon 450t. Of the two the hxc is a better unit, longer battery life is a big thing for me. I carry both when I am melk hunting in Idaho.
Don't gobble at me...

CallMaker

I use a Garmin 60C.  Never had a problem with it at all.
Steven

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Grunt-N-Gobble on February 17, 2012, 02:28:56 PM
I'm pretty sure mine is a Garmin Oregon 450.  Bought it new last year to go to Colorado elk hunting.  Touch screen.

Had to buy an SD card for it and downloaded my own maps (for free) of the area I was hunting.  It worked very well.

Had to re-calibrate NORTH on it the 2nd day of hunting, but other than that, it was pretty accurate and worked great.  Kept me out of the private land I was hunting near.  I really liked the map overlay ability of the unit.
I have been looking at the Garmin Montana 650t or the GPSMAP 62stc to replace my summit. Have you had any problems with your touch screen in the cold, I was told that is a problem with some touch screens. Thats why I looked at the 62stc in the store today to compare to the Montana because of the cold question. I love the bigger screen on the Montana, then I don't have to bring cheater glasses with me in the woods.

Fullfan

My oregon 450t is a tough screen unit, last year in Idaho while I was hunting the temp never went below 20. No problems with my unit.
Don't gobble at me...

jlwoody

Use a garman e-trex, have not had any issues.