turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Handheld GPS?

Started by HoggleGobble, February 16, 2012, 12:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

I have somehow lost my Garmin eTrex Legen GPS since last turkey season, and am now in the market for a new handheld GPS. In your experiences, what is the best GPS available? Need to mark them Gobbles!!!

Curtdawg88

I have a Garmin 60 that I've had for probably 6-8 years.  I like it but it has a small non-color screen.  I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx for work that I really like.  Pretty pricey though about $350.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

HoggleGobble

Quote from: Curtdawg88 on February 16, 2012, 01:38:52 PM
I have a Garmin 60 that I've had for probably 6-8 years.  I like it but it has a small non-color screen.  I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx for work that I really like.  Pretty pricey though about $350.

Would you like it for hunting? How about waterproof?

Turkey Trot

It is hard to say what the "best" is.  Garmin, Magellan, and DeLorme put out some good product.  It depends on what your need is and the amount you want to spend on swag.

I have a Garmin 60CSX and it gets the job done.  
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

mrclif

Garmin has the best units by far,my favorite has been the rhino model got the top or the line model five years ago and its never missed a beat still running orginal battery recargeable lithuim ion. I've got the top of line Lowrance endura series with up grade topo maps,24k versus the 100k maps in the garmin. The endura has some  neat features like waypoint icons that are better for hunting.
Garmin has 24k topo maps offered now.
Garmin is the best by far in my experinces,operation and customer service.The rhino has features nobody else has touched on for instance if your hunting with somebody and they have a rhino you can poll their position and theyll show up on your map or when ever they key up it shows where their at. It elimanates having to have a radio and gps also has weather radio and you can set to come on automatically when warnings are issued. I keep it on my headboard of my bed when the weather is bad,its good at waking ya up when tornado warnings go off. Which is more common than you want here in Alabama.

sugarray

I have a DeLorme PN 60.  It is a little more user intensive, but the maps are awesome!!!

I have just used it a little to track a route and get back to the truck on new ground.  It works flawlessly and I choose it over the Garmin based on reviews on the net, features, built in memory, and can add SD cards.

Just choose one and get to know it well.

willy8457

For the money Buy what you lost, I've used the garmin Ledgend for a long time and haven't had any problems. For basic navagation and easy to use the E-Trex is a good buy.

TennLongspur

Don't waste your money on a Magellan. I'm not saying they are all bad, but the one I had was a piece of junk. It took FOREVER to link up and fix a position and it devoured batteries.

My first handheld GPS was a garmin eTrex legend, and I loved it, but I left it on the bumper of my truck following a hunt - not good.

I replaced it with the Magellan and was never happy with it.

I recently replaced it with the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I am still breaking it in, but so far I have been very pleased. It links up quickly, and is sensitive enough that I can even link up while in the house if I am close to a window. The battery life is good, color display is clear, and it came with a topomaps CD to download on the GPS system without any problem. So far so good.

But if you want a magellan, I will send you one PLUS $20.  :toothy9:
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

30_06

I use a Garmin Venture HC. It is easy to use, locks on to satellites fast, has a color screen, you can download maps, is waterproof, and shockproof.

HoggleGobble

Quote from: mrclif on February 16, 2012, 03:26:45 PM
Garmin has the best units by far,my favorite has been the rhino model got the top or the line model five years ago and its never missed a beat still running orginal battery recargeable lithuim ion. I've got the top of line Lowrance endura series with up grade topo maps,24k versus the 100k maps in the garmin. The endura has some  neat features like waypoint icons that are better for hunting.
Garmin has 24k topo maps offered now.
Garmin is the best by far in my experinces,operation and customer service.The rhino has features nobody else has touched on for instance if your hunting with somebody and they have a rhino you can poll their position and theyll show up on your map or when ever they key up it shows where their at. It elimanates having to have a radio and gps also has weather radio and you can set to come on automatically when warnings are issued. I keep it on my headboard of my bed when the weather is bad,its good at waking ya up when tornado warnings go off. Which is more common than you want here in Alabama.

Which Rhino unit?

TauntoHawk

I really like my garmen etrex.. simple, color, accurate topo, waterproof, good battery life, always gets a signal.

Although since getting an Iphone ive been playing with apps like hunt journal and cabelas recon whereever I get a signal
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MCase

Garmin Oregon 400T for me....Been super happy with it for a few years.

gotcha

Just make sure whatever you end up with it has an electronic compass,not all do.That means it will give you a direction while standing still and track you while standing still.The 100.00 units you have to be walking very fast for the compass to be accurate or track you.I use a Garmin Summitt but I think it is discontinued.

hoyt

I like Garmin and have had  a 60CSX since they came out that does a lot more than I need. Will probably keep it a few more yrs.

Curtdawg88

Quote from: HoggleGobble on February 16, 2012, 02:43:47 PM
Quote from: Curtdawg88 on February 16, 2012, 01:38:52 PM

Would you like it for hunting? How about waterproof?

I think it would be great for hunting.  You can upload topo maps and I think you can upload aerials into it as well, but I'm not 100% on that.  All the Garmin handheld models are waterproof.  I've seen them floating in a creek before, tracking the whole way. 
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."