turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gun superstitions?

Started by SWAMPFOX, February 16, 2012, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWAMPFOX

this may sound crazy to some but here goes. i am a highly superstitious person. with that being said heres my problem. ive hunted with an old 870 spt since the late 1980s and has never let me down. it is a shooter and has claimed many longbeards in many states. i have a battery of many old school 870s ,1187s,o\u's,and a mossberg ssi-1 .all are shooters. do u think it will be "bad karma" to leave the "old girl" behind and hunt with a "new girl"? will the turkey spirits frown on me?
swampfox

redarrow

Sounds like a question for Ted Nugent. My theory is ,if it ain't broke dont fix it.

wvnut3

If it has worked for that long stick with it.

Rockhound

i got rid of my first real turkey killer and it took me 4 years and 3 guns to break the voodoo

SWAMPFOX

thats what im worried about!

decoykrvr

The VooDoo is in your head.  With that said, the confidence,  familiarity and feel of a gun goes a long way toward making the shot count when under the stress and pressure of hunting situations.  I decided one year to use as many different guns and gauges as I could to kill turkeys.  I never missed a bird that year, but stopped at 5 different guns due to the reoccurring nightmares of having a 20 gauge w/ nothing but 10 or 12 gauge shells in my pocket, or a 10 gauge w/ 20 gauge shells.  My little experiment wasn't worth the added angst, but did help me dispel any "shotgun voodoo".

jblackburn

I wasn't worried about anything like this until I read this thread!  I have killed all my birds (minus archery ones) with my 835.  Last year I won an 870 in a calling contest, so I want to take one with it.  Now I'm scared to leave the old Mossy in the cabinet . . .

:TrainWreck1:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SWAMPFOX

i think the confidence factor is huge here as well as feeling guilty about leaving my old girl behind. but i have a safe full of dedicated turkey killers ive collected over the years that need some use. you never know what the good lord has in store for you, so i guess im gonna have a few new "knee riders" this year

WildTigerTrout

Don't believe in gun superstitions. I hunt with several shotguns and have had success with nearly all of them.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TrackeySauresRex

I don't wanna leave my ol Mossy behind either...
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Mr16Gauge

I come from an industry where the Drivers, Owners and Crew Chiefs are almost kinky as HECK.

So as was state above, if it ain't broke, don't change it.

LOL

Good Luck

:OGturkeyhead:

BrowningGuy88

I say it doesn't matter to me, but every time I go I grab my little 870 20 gauge! I have killed turkeys with the 1300 NWTF and with an 835, but I just feel better if I have my 870!

njdevilsb

I have used 3 new guns in the last 5 or so years, and luckily, I didn't have any bad luck when switching from one to the other.  I've killed 15 or so birds with 5 different guns in my hunting career.

If your aim is true, it won't matter. 

dirt road ninja

The gun won't care, but I use the same sling when I switch rifles and I think it's bad luck to carry more then 3 shells or arrows (deer & turkey).

remmy1187

Hasnt affected me yet.  I get two tags and try to shoot one with the 12 and one with the twenty, in that order. :anim_25: