OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sponge Painting-(updated with a pic)

Started by houser52, February 15, 2012, 11:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houser52

Before I camo paint my 870 again  I was wondering if anybody has ever tried sponge painting directly to the guns factory finish. I found a pic of an AR that has had it done to the upper receiver and tube.

It breaks up some of the black. Anybody on here tried it on their shotguns?

Squirrel Hunter

houser52

Quote from: Squirrel Hunter on February 15, 2012, 11:55:58 PM
That looks awesome.

Yea, I thought so too. I don't see why that camo wouldn't work on the whole gun.

ChiefBubba

If I remember right I have a buddy that had his Aluminum duck boat camoed with the sponge. It looked good. Chief.

wkyhunter

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

reynolds243

yup, did the one below over the factory finish. I have gotten much better at it since this one but it has lasted 4+ years with no issues

decoykrvr

At the behest of my wife, I did the walls of a bathroom utilizing the "sponge technique" and it looked great.  I like the effect on guns even
better.

houser52

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 16, 2012, 10:32:26 AM
yup, did the one below over the factory finish. I have gotten much better at it since this one but it has lasted 4+ years with no issues

That looks great. Did you sponge directly to the gun's finish or spray a base coat on first?

BHMTitan

I found that same pic when I was wanting to paint my black stock / forearm.  I practiced on an old piece of 2x4.  Never could get the look I wanted w/ a sponge, so just used grass and twigs as a mask.  Turned out pretty good in the end.

TrackeySauresRex

I like that, definately looks cool  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

reynolds243

Quote from: houser52 on February 16, 2012, 11:24:20 AM

That looks great. Did you sponge directly to the gun's finish or spray a base coat on first?

I put a base coat on first, just plan tan. I didnt do much of any prep to the gun before that minus wiping off the oil areas.  The part I like is all sponges are different so you can find tons of different patterns to use buy just using a different sponge.

All the paint other then the base coat i just got samples from Lowes in different shades of green and brown. as I said above after a few times you can really get much better at it and they can turn out very cool IMO.

houser52

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 16, 2012, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: houser52 on February 16, 2012, 11:24:20 AM

I put a base coat on first, just plan tan. I didnt do much of any prep to the gun before that minus wiping off the oil areas.  The part I like is all sponges are different so you can find tons of different patterns to use buy just using a different sponge.

All the paint other then the base coat i just got samples from Lowes in different shades of green and brown. as I said above after a few times you can really get much better at it and they can turn out very cool IMO.

That's how I painted my 870 the first time, base coat then sponged on different colors.

I figured I'd try sponging on colors without the base coat just to see how it looks.

reynolds243

ive done a few using different base colors for different areas like the Barrel being black, stock being tan and scope being green then just mixed up different patterns on each. Then you can go back over certain spots with a fine brush to highlight different areas. Its really not hard once you get going.

The one i posted was easy because I have had the gun since i was 12 and it was in pretty bad shape anyways so i would try something and if i didnt like it i would just wipe it off and start over or paint over it.

houser52

Yea, the painting part is not hard but removing the paint is a challenge.  :(