turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is Pattern on paper a true test.

Started by SumToy, February 20, 2011, 11:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jebs chokes

You must know where your pattern is hitting and how it is hitting.I can not see my pattern shooting it in the AIR . Turkey hunter

mossy835

SumToy I do not know if this will help or not but the paper target has helped me with clays. For example I have an old JC Higgins 12 gauge with factory chokes. I could only hit 3 out of 10 clays until I went to the paper pattern board and found where it was shooting at different yardage. From there I jumped to 15 out of 18 clays with most turned to dust. I was shooting Estate 7.5 2 .75 shells. Not knowing where the center of the pellets where caused me to miss. And with a flying target all I knew was a miss. But how far off was I? Went for pheasant and dropped 6 out of 7 and the miss was on me. Hope this helps.
Mike

bird

I would like to sidetrack here for a second.  I would sure like to see some pictures of your chokes, especially the turkey chokes.  I go to your website and 3 chokes pop up for a split second and then they are gone.  Come on man, show some pictures of your chokes!

bird

mossy835

Patience bird Patience he said they were working on the page but I agree with you I would like to see more also.

bird

Quote from: mossy835 on March 23, 2011, 12:20:01 PM
Patience bird Patience he said they were working on the page but I agree with you I would like to see more also.

Ahhh the heck with patience.... That site has been like that for a long time.  I wanna see some PICTURES!!!

SumToy

Ok yall fill me in on what yall want or need on site. I spend my time in shop and on test rang. LoL. I not have any idea on what folks want to see. I have always sold stuff by showing you what it will do.  So I will get on web site next. The big thing the past few has been getting package to put them in. So web is next.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ncturkey

Check what 's in the 15" 20" and 30" circle conuts are too @40 yards to see what the whole pattern is doing. Plus shoot more than one pattern to avg above 5 patterns. This will allow you to be confident when you shot at that turkey you will have the pattern you need too take him.
Quote from: SumToy on February 21, 2011, 11:04:30 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 21, 2011, 10:34:55 PM
That link on your profile is a dead link.   

And to answer your question, I agree with Hal. 

Link works.  Now if yall are happy with the numbers on paper that is cool.  I just did not want to get a false kill pattern.    So I will stay with the paper and the 10 inch numbers.

Thanks for the feed back.

trkehunr93

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 21, 2011, 08:33:27 AM
paper does not lie. you will have a hole where the shot is hitting. but you are shooting at a stationary target. so you are getting the full affect of the pattern.
when shooting at moving targets such as clays .you have No idea of what percentage of pellets are actually making contact.

:agreed:

shootumindaface

I have seen video of a shot string hitting a turkeys head in slow mo..

On the subject of time to target.. It would be interesting to know how many of these pellets are doing the job and if their is enough time difference for the Toms head to kick back and thus the trailing end of the shot string is really just passing over..

I cannot think for the life of me, what video that is on

SumToy

Shootum. Now you have picked up on what I was talking about. I know we have 2 target chokes. Both blow hole on paper. You shoot target on block of wood that can move one blow hole the other not. Ball of shot string of shot. That why I asked this. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bird

Yeah I've seen a video too that show the shot string as it travels from muzzle to target and can't think of who it was that had it out.  Pretty cool video too.

bird

jebs chokes

I wonder  why you think paper targets are two DIMENSIONAL. Turkey Hunter .

Mag10

Quote from: jebs chokes on March 24, 2011, 10:13:29 PM

Because they are!!  height by width.   

redleg06

Quote from: jebs chokes on March 24, 2011, 10:13:29 PM

I wonder why you wonder why he thinks paper targets are two dimensional...

shootumindaface

Sum, you are going to have me going through my extensive DVD library.. I think it is an older HS Strut DVD.. And if I remember correctly the bird is hit the head rocks back and half the string passes over the head meaning the reaction to the initial shot is faster than the entire shot string hitting the head.

So now you have my mind churning and we are on the same page.. So what good is 100 in the head and neck with a long shot string if 50 of the pellets never even do any work as the first 20 had already did the dirty work or do they ?????????????..

Or, Or, What is the possibilities if we can shorten the shot string so that a larger number of pellets are hitting at the initial moment of impact thus increasing damage and insuring that a larger number of shot is going to be hitting the bird thus insuring more will be in vital areas.

Alot of this is over our heads and would require some HD video footage and a dude that is really good at physics to determine the benefits of a shorter shot string hitting a bird vs reaction time..

But another thing to consider is a shorter shot string will entail more pellets crashing into each other thus more flyers..