OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Pattern on paper a true test.

Started by SumToy, February 20, 2011, 11:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

We do all types of chokes.  The other day we tested a sporting clay choke.  On paper it was not any better then the chokes that they had.   We shot a few clay targets and it was day and night on how the targets broke.   

So that got me to thinking the paper is 2 dimensional and real world is 3 dimensional.  So could this be something to think about with all shells.   

We have the guys from the show going to film some of the test we do.  They going to set up and film from the time it exit the barrel to it hits the paper.  Then we slow it down to see what is going on. 

What do yall think about all this.  I may be spending to much time on trying to find the perfect set up but that is what maid the target guns work.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Skeeterbait

What you are talking about is the stringing of a shot load in the air.  No shot does not fly in a flat 2 dimentional circle through the air.  There are leading pellets and trailing pellets.  This isn't critical when shooting at a stationary target however.  It can play a factor on fast pass shooting at greater range however.  For turkey hunting, the pattern board is fairly accurate in predicting how many pellets will strike the bird.  It does not tell you what penetration power they will have though.  A load of #6 lead isnt going to do the damage at 40 yards that a load of #6 HTL is going to do.

hookedspur

Your question was Is Pattern on paper a true test ,its as good as we have till we actually use the gun on a bird, it gives us a good idea if we can hit him  and how far we can kill him cleanly.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VAHUNTER

paper does not lie. you will have a hole where the shot is hitting. but you are shooting at a stationary target. so you are getting the full affect of the pattern.
when shooting at moving targets such as clays .you have No idea of what percentage of pellets are actually making contact.
Good things come to those who wait

joshua

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 21, 2011, 08:33:27 AM
paper does not lie. you will have a hole where the shot is hitting. but you are shooting at a stationary target. so you are getting the full affect of the pattern.
when shooting at moving targets such as clays .you have No idea of what percentage of pellets are actually making contact.
:agreed:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

SumToy

I think that it will not give you the full story.   I know on a clay going away one turn to dust one just broke.  This was done a few times to just see if it was hit even every time.  Paper they looked the same.     I know with the target gun you will get a clean hole or a rag hole at 60 ft with old junk 9's.    

Now with this it makes me think that if the target is not movable you may not get the complete kill pattern.   Now on something moving if it is a long shot stream if the 1st shot hit the target/head will start to move.   Then some/part of shot will miss.    

I know we shoot a target on wood that is thrown in the air.  You have 2 chokes both blow hold on paper in target holder.   One blow hole on paper with block behind it moving in the air.  The other will put good number of shoot but will have shoot marks across the paper.  That say it a long shot stream so will that hurt on a good kill.

Have have saw on film that the shows have that it look like some of the birds look like they was hit with a hammer some just look like you slapped them.

I ask this because I am looking to give folks what they need to kill.  I like to blow holes in things and it looks like 2 different chokes.  We had holes blown in ducks this year at 20 to 25 yards.  
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wisconsinteacher

I think I understand what you are saying.  I would think a can filled with spray foam would work.  It will move when first hit kind of like a birds head.  Maybe something heavier than foam would be better.

SumToy

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 21, 2011, 12:17:53 AM
Looked at your web site and very little info. Can find anything but a general desciption.         
                     ???

Google  it you will find  stuff from both shows.   We are working on the web page now.  We have put all our time in the chokes not the page.  A web page can make you look big and bad.  I not care alot about a web page just what feed back we get from the guys/gals that shoot our stuff.

paladin

Do some research on shot strings. The longer the shot string the worse it is for skeet///wingshooting.  Tighter chokes usually mean longer shotstrings. Jug chokes shorten shot strings. Like skeeterbait said It is not as important with turkeys if the shot hits them a split second late or early.
"have gun-will travel"

SumToy

That is why I ask for the feed back from yall.  I know we get good patterns on paper and blown up ducks and targets.  I just want to make sure that we see the same with the Turkeys.    I know that if you get a ball of shoot to hit you better then a long string.

You was on the target site.   

Link on profile take you to the hunting page.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That link on your profile is a dead link.   

And to answer your question, I agree with Hal. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I always say this about shooting loads and testing to see what works.  If you want to play, you have to pay.  And testing to see what works on paper will let you know what will work on live targets.  Some say shooting numbers in 10" circles on paper is totally different than killing turkeys.  Well I disagree totally.  What your pattern does on paper, lets you know for sure what will take place on the game your shooting at for number of hits.  That's why I laugh when folks say Indian Creek chokes are worried more about 10" numbers than they are about killing turkeys.  Those 10" numbers are your working ants of your pattern when you stop and think about it.  More times than not the better your 10" numbers the better your 20" numbers will be as well.

knightrider

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 21, 2011, 10:44:50 PM
I always say this about shooting loads and testing to see what works.  If you want to play, you have to pay.  And testing to see what works on paper will let you know what will work on live targets.  Some say shooting numbers in 10" circles on paper is totally different than killing turkeys.  Well I disagree totally.  What your pattern does on paper, lets you know for sure what will take place on the game your shooting at for number of hits.  That's why I laugh when folks say Indian Creek chokes are worried more about 10" numbers than they are about killing turkeys.  Those 10" numbers are your working ants of your pattern when you stop and think about it.  More times than not the better your 10" numbers the better your 20" numbers will be as well.
:agreed:

HogBiologist

When you shoot at a flying target you get a long shot string.  When you shoot at a stationary target while your pattern does expand it still stays centered.  Kinda like the difference between between squirting a spray gun or slinging the spray gun from side to side while squirting.  One is a long stream of shot and one is a centered concentrtation of shot.  Testing a pattern on paper is a very good test for a stationary target.  Duck shooting and turkey shooting are apples and oranges.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

SumToy

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 21, 2011, 10:34:55 PM
That link on your profile is a dead link.   

And to answer your question, I agree with Hal. 

Link works.  Now if yall are happy with the numbers on paper that is cool.  I just did not want to get a false kill pattern.    So I will stay with the paper and the 10 inch numbers.

Thanks for the feed back.