OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

federal HW #7's and SSX

Started by darron, February 14, 2012, 01:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

I have been shooting the Hevi-13 #7's through an SSX. After reading how much harder the Fed HW hits I thought about picking up a box and trying them out.

Would the SSX and HW 7's be a good combo?

gophert

Contrary to the warning that you are not to shoot Fed HW shells through a ported choke because of the wad stripping action of the choke removing the "Magical Wad" of the Fed's, I get GREAT patterns and high numbers with the SSX .550 and the IC .555 at 40 yrds.

IC .555  got 168

SSX .550  got 148

darron

does anyone else recommend shooting federal HW through an SSX?

Devastator

i do,averaged 175 in the 10,with a very even 20 inch in my 1187 with 26 in barrel.every gun is different though.

surehuntsalot

I have shot them through a .565 (ported) Truglo GSX and get good patterns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SC_WILDMAN

i also shoot the SSX choke and the Federal Hvywt #7's. I am getting 170's in the 10 at 40 yds. I am also getting 150's with the hevi-13 # 7's and this same choke. This is with an unpolished barrel.

chipper

I ordered 2 boxes from my local store, as soon as he gets them in I'm gonna run'em through a SSX and a .560 Kicks, I'm putting up 130 in the Kicks with Hevi 7's at 40 but haven't shot them through the SSX, I hope the Feds will at least put 130 up, if they do I,ve found my load for this year.

MERCing

QuoteContrary to the warning that you are not to shoot Fed HW shells through a ported choke because of the wad stripping action of the choke removing the "Magical Wad" of the Fed's

The SSX's restriction is relieved just before the porting starts so that may be the reason they seem to work with the flight control wads in some combo's.
They do have a stepped or staged restriction at the beginning of the forcing cone area that works to help strip the wad but I don't think the porting on the SSX's have much, if any, affect on the wad.   

Devastator

Quote from: timb on February 14, 2012, 08:31:16 PM
i do,averaged 175 in the 10,with a very even 20 inch in my 1187 with 26 in barrel.every gun is different though.
550 ssx

wbpc

Just purchased this choke and I have to order some Fed HW now.

JUGHEAD

Got the barrel cleaned up on my 21" barreled 870 and am waiting on some good shooting weather to do some further testing with this gun, SSX. 550, and the Federals.  A couple of quick shots last year when the gun was brand new at 30 yards yielded 250+ pellets in a 10" circle, even as could be.  I'm guessing it's still gonna be REALLY mean at 40!

darron

are you guys shooting the slower 1100fps load or the fast load going 1300fps? I found two different loads on-line for HW #7's. One goes 1100 the other 1300.

TrkyHntr

The 20ga loads are 1100 fps and the 12ga are 1300.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

JUGHEAD

Quote from: JUGHEAD on February 22, 2012, 02:48:59 PM
Got the barrel cleaned up on my 21" barreled 870 and am waiting on some good shooting weather to do some further testing with this gun, SSX. 550, and the Federals.  A couple of quick shots last year when the gun was brand new at 30 yards yielded 250+ pellets in a 10" circle, even as could be.  I'm guessing it's still gonna be REALLY mean at 40!
Shot our little gun at 40 yards yesterday with the Tru-glo SSX .550 and Federal Heavyweight 7's and got 166 in a 10" circle and 50 pellets in the 10" of head and neck displayed on the target.  Surprisingly, the load was also more open at 20 yards than the same gun with the RSF .570 and Hevi-13 #7's.  I think we've got a winner.

DUPREE

Quote from: chipper on February 18, 2012, 09:09:32 PM
I ordered 2 boxes from my local store, as soon as he gets them in I'm gonna run'em through a SSX and a .560 Kicks, I'm putting up 130 in the Kicks with Hevi 7's at 40 but haven't shot them through the SSX, I hope the Feds will at least put 130 up, if they do I,ve found my load for this year.

I get in the 170's with my remington superfull, but when I shot a kicks (think it was a .565) it didnt do as well. Something like 130?