turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What was your funniest missed shot

Started by reflexl, February 14, 2012, 01:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Misses? Yes. Funny, as in funny ha-ha? Never happened.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

30_06

Took a total newbie out hunting a couple of years ago, and set up on the side of a mountain next to a field edge. After explaining to him how hard turkey hunting can be I proceeded to call 4 paintbrush toting toms from across a river and two fields away. They got to 40 yards and just kind of looked around...in the meantime I am wondering why my newbie partner is not shooting...so I put the lead one in my sights and pull the trigger. All the turkeys scattered...turns out it was 62 yards away, and to top it all off the newbie says "huh I guess turkey hunting isn't all that hard if you can do a little range estimation".

honker22

My 1st time ever hunting I was humbled real quick.  It was 1996 (I was 12) and the 1st time we ever had a turkey season.  I went by myself and sat on a food plot.  Around 8am, I heard one gobble about 100 yards off.  I hit him with a few yelps on my push-pull and he was out in the foodplot strutting in no time.  I didn't have a decoy, ends up i needed one.  He stayed in the center of the food plot and I capped one off at about 40 yards or so... didn't even cut a feather.  I'm not sure, but I probably shed a tear.

My dad and uncle were about 3 miles away on another property and I called him on the "truck phone".  He said they were listening to one gobble about every other breath and to come over.  So I got in his old truck (still 12 years old) and drove over.  We finally got set up on him, on an old logging road.  It is now about 10 am or so.  He crossed my gun barrel at about 10 steps and I whiffed again.  I almost had to be put on suicide alert, I was so upset.  My dad asked why I didn't just aim at the "turkey" and pull the trigger, bc he was so close.  I responded "Thanks for telling me now dad, I thought you HAD to shoot them in the head"

Needless to say, from 1996 to present, if they are under 20 yards, I aim for the "turkey".  I finally killed a bird at the end of season, in the same place as my 1st miss.  He was a banded bird that was an original release from 1989.  My oldest bird to date... he was 8 years old for sure.  I wasn't sure but I always hoped that was the jake that my grandfather released in that same plot from '89... we have video of him releasing a jake and a few hens
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

reflexl

I am enjoying the fire out of these miss stories. I think it is something we can all identify with. Keep um coming. reflexl

swamp_bird89

TRKYHTR

A missed shot is never funny to me.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

K9Doc

Kansas last spring.  Big tom came across field to my calls at 4pm.  Hen interception.  Tried the ol Turkey ninja sneak and he busted me and ran off into a big creek bottom.  Started cutting and using gobble tube 20 minutes later and he came down the creek bottom gobbling his head off.
Put the scope on him and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!!   :newmascot:
Flies away >:(     Shot the Barbed wire fence about 2-3 feet in front of me!!!
I have nicknamed him the BARBED WIRE GOBBLER
He's mine next year.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

BC

I missed the first turkey I ever shot at when I was 12 years old. On opening morning of turkey season in 2008, I bragged to a buddy of mine that I hadn't missed a bird in 26 years since that first one.

About an hour later I missed one three times. He busted me before he got in front of me, I had to swing on him and never got down on the vent rib to look at the bead. Was shooting over the top of him everytime.

Took a pretty good verbal thrashing over that one.

catdaddy

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 14, 2012, 08:49:52 PM
A missed shot is never funny to me.

TRKYHTR

Ditto!!  Whether it happens to be me or somone I am guiding--nothing funny about it.

strutstopper

I missed roughly twenty birds before putting a scope on my gun. Not a single one was even the least bit funny...

TrackeySauresRex

My misses were never funny either. However other peoples were  :TooFunny:..  I always thought it was real funny when someone shoots and the bird still stands there  :TooFunny: My boy did that and I still laugh about it.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

reflexl

Boys it is better to laugh about it than cry. That is why I laugh about them now. Still funnier when someone else misses though........ ;D

fallhnt

Missed 1 in KS during archery season.I was shocked...I never miss.I knocked another arrow and had to laugh.I used my 60 yrd. pin.All 4 longbeards where 30 yrds. out now and after dropping 1 the others started kicking butt and I dropped bird 2.All of this was on camera but I closed the lens cover due to dust.So no footage.All you heard was me shoot cuss and shot again.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

drenalinld

A few misses for sure, but I can't see the humor in it. I'm getting mad just thinking about them! :angry9:

WillowRidgeCalls

I kept hearing stories about guys missing birds, and how can you miss with a shotgun pattern at 25 yards, with a rifle maybe? I had hunted about 8 years and took a bird every year, so I was lucky I guess. As the season came I was set up on an open field with my hen decoy set out at 20 yards. I got a bird to sound off and worked him into the field, he was out about 50 yards when he came into the field. I worked him in until he was almost on top of the decoy, there was a clump of dirt that stuck up just past her. The bird was in full strut and I noticed he was missing his center tail feather. He came in and as he came out of strut he was right beside that clump of dirt. I zeroed the bead on his neck and touched it off BOOM... I looked over the gun and he was just standing there. I thought WTH and drew the bead back on his neck and BOOM... I looked again and he was walking off, I only had 2 shells in the gun, so off he walked. I stepped the yardage off to the clump of dirt, it was 28 steps. I gathered up my stuff and went home, cussing at myself the whole way. When I got home I went out behind the house and set a coke can on a stick, stepped off 28 steps and drew and bead on that can and touched one off. There wasn't a half inch anyware on that can that didn't have a hole in it.  Went inside and ate lunch, loaded up my stuff and went back out for the afternoon. I set up in the bottom near the creek, because I knew the birds liked to spend time there later in the day. I hit my box call and a bird fires back at me, I kept working him until I see him coming up the other side of the creek. He's in full strut and it's the same bird I missed that morning, no center tail feather. He's on a dead straight line right at me through the brush, as he clears the edge of the brush, he stops and goes out of strut. He's standing there with his head up high looking for that hen he heard. I draw the bead down tight on his neck and BOOM... I look and see him running back into the brush. I thought NO WAY... I picked up my stuff and stepped off the shot, 26 yards. I couldn't believe I missed the same bird at nearly the same distance three times in one day? I still have no clue what happened? But that bird was one lucky bird. I haven't missed one since and still shooting the same gun. Those birds will humble you  every chance they get.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott