only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ADVICE - hunting public land

Started by Nick_The_Tinkerer, February 14, 2012, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick_The_Tinkerer

ADVICE - what advice would you give for hunting on public land

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

WildTigerTrout

Try to be in the woods during the week and also during bad weather ie. rain. Less hunting pressure then.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Sherrell

Roost your bird the night before,get in tight the next morning,let him know your there and don't cause him to gobble to much or every hunter in earshot will be headed your direction.

a-j calls

Hunt weekdays if you can, weekends are not fun.

jblackburn

Quote from: CASH on February 14, 2012, 12:39:55 PM
Get there early. Stay there late

YES!!  Get there way early get close to the roost, call soft and not a lot.  If you don't kill him early, take a nap while everyone else is yelping their fool heads off from 7:30 to 9:00 then kill your bird between 10:00 and 12:00 when the gobblers are lonely because the hens have slipped off to nest.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Kylongspur88

Hunt weekdays, know the lay of the land better than the next guy and if theres water use a boat or canoe and you can get away from pressure. The way I see it most people are lazy. Going to those inconvenient spots will separate you from the others, that is until you run into a guy like me who goes to the inconvenient spots.... ::)

FullChoke

Hunt where other hunters don't go. This does not always mean a remote spot, sometimes it means right off of the main road within sight of everyone else's trucks flying past to get to those distant remote spots. Sometimes it means setting up within sight of where you parked your vehicle and having to be careful to not hit it when you shoot.

:anim_25:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

guesswho

If your successful on private land then hunt the public land the same way.  I don't change tactics from one to the other.   Slow and steady.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

camp man

If I havent roosted one the evening before, I usually pick a larger block and walk as far into it as I can before daylight to a good spot to listen. Start deep and work your way back to the truck.

YELPA

Use maps and aerial photos!  Get a detailed map and aerial of the block of public land you are hunting, study it, know how to use it and you'll find spots most folks are missing.  You'll find ways to get to birds most don't know of or figure out without a wealth of experience on that block of ground or the map you've got in your hands.

TANK

bbcustomboxcalls

This is about what not to do.  Don't use a gobble call!!

Bill

TRKYHTR

Turkeys don't know if they are on public or private. They don't change from being a turkey. Hunt them the same way. The only thing different is the amount of people on public land. Just try to stay away from the other hunters that might ruin your hunt. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hoyt

Do a lot of preseason scouting...listening mostly...and locate as many gobblers as you can. Then go back in close to season opener and set-up as far as you can and find out which way they go when they fly down. Don't call, just watch and listen, then sneak out undetected.

They will be times during the season you will not be the first one on a bird and have to pull off and go somewhere else. Knowing where more gobblers are comes in handy. Knowing which way they usually go after fly down will let you get in their path and make it much easier to call them in.