turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spurs or beard?

Started by MOStrutter, February 14, 2012, 11:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOStrutter

What do experienced turkey hunters really care for when a turkey is coming in?  Do you guys get excited about a long beard dragging the ground or long hooks showing through the grass.  I am in the spurs camp on this one.  I guess I bring a deer hunter's mentality to it. I want to outsmart an old, wise bird. Let me know what you all think.

crenshawco

I dont really look at either untill hes flopping

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

jblackburn

Honestly, my biggest concern is a full fan (not a jake).  I have never focused on a bird's spurs or beard when getting ready to pull the trigger. 

That being said, I LOVE hooks!!  But, I also love a long paint brush beard!

I really just love turkey hunting!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

buck_hunter21

Usually when a bird is coming in all I can really see easily is the beard. Seeing the beard dragging while he is coming in is a beautiful sight, but if I had to pick one I would go with spurs. Love those hooks!!!!
Spill Blood

TauntoHawk

Big sharp curved Hooks!!! Me and the guys have a plaque and a competition every year based off NWTF scoring so I want it all beard, spurs, and weight! but spurs are the most important category in scoring

Several times I have passed on 2yr old birds because I was in that spot hunting after a particular stud. Sometimes the big ol bird just made me look silly  :funnyturkey: other times I got him and was rewarded by large hooks or a double beard  :newmascot: either way I always had a great time and learn alot off each encounter.

Ive been blessed enough to have access to a good bit of private that I know there are plenty of birds on almost all of them. Find time to hunt is much harder than finding a bird to kill once I get out there
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Basser69

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: buck_hunter21 on February 14, 2012, 12:28:01 PM
Usually when a bird is coming in all I can really see easily is the beard. Seeing the beard dragging while he is coming in is a beautiful sight, but if I had to pick one I would go with spurs. Love those hooks!!!!
+1. Nothing like seeing that long beard swinging on his way in but IMO the spurs are the real trophy.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

RS

Once I see it's a gobbler I don't try to pay any attention to the beard or spurs.  I'm just concentrating on trying to kill him.  But, once he's down the things I really like to see are some long spurs.  

swamp_bird89

Full fan and hes going down....good beard and spurs are just a bonus.

stinkpickle

Quote from: crenshawco on February 14, 2012, 12:07:56 PM

This^^^ (except for the fact that he has to have a visible beard to be legal, of course)  It's yet another reason I prefer turkey hunting to deer hunting.

Longspur321

All about the spurs man...beard is just a bonus.
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

remmy1187

Just want to be sure it is a Gobbler.  I put the beard and tail on the wall and the spurs go on my Gobbler MOJO necklace!!! :happy0064:

redarrow

Quote from: crenshawco on February 14, 2012, 12:07:56 PM
Same here. I have never shot a gobbler that I could see the spurs on until after he was dead. I look for a beard.