turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spurs or beard?

Started by MOStrutter, February 14, 2012, 11:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SWAMPFOX

Definetely spurs. I hope to do battle with a particularly longspurred warrior at farm I've tangled with once or twice for three years. I only know him by his hooks and he is not your average 2-3 yro.

Clay

a big rope beard sure gets my hear pumping, but spurs are definately the ticket, although I rarely know what I have there until he's on the ground... 

turkeywhisperer

I generally look for the thick, full paintbrus of a beard.  I usually cant tell anything about the spurs until they are on the ground...

MO3TOE

For me.... I love BIG spurs!!!
-> -> -> 3TOE <- <- <-

timbrhuntr

You tell me!

This one?

This one?

Or maybe this one?

Okay then this one !

jblackburn

timbrhuntr, I see you have a problem.  Just too many awesome gobblers to choose from.  I will do the only responsible thing there is and volunteer to help you out by thinning them down!

:z-flirtysmile3:

Great birds!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

redleg06

I LOVE a paint brush beard swinging the ground but man....it's so nice to ground check one and find a big ol pair of hooks.

I guess if i HAD to choose one or the other, I'd go Hooks.

redleg06

Quote from: 2ounce6s on February 14, 2012, 02:43:20 PM
A full fan and longbeard qualify for getting ready for a shot. I admit having choosen a bird by beard size when several have approached before. I've also switched off and shot the closer but smaller bird because I sensed I was about to end up empty handed if I remained greedy. I've shot those subordinate toms on multiple occasions, you know, the one's that come in like strung out crack heads with binos strapped on their heads while the dominant bird brings up the rear strutting his stuff. Those crack head bino birds have busted up more than one hunt for me so they are at times preferred. Other than that, I can honestly say I've never been able to see spurs while hunting and trying to choose which bird to shoot, those glorious but infrequent times when works out that way. I've always said "The spurs are the pearl you find when you are standing on a toms neck."

100% agree.

If given the chance, I'll try to pick out the big beard when a group walks in together but if a group of mature birds are standing together, it's usually the first one that presents the best shot... especially early in the season when I'm needing to pull the trigger.

wbpc

tyelper

full fan for me after i see he is a mature tom then i look at beard and hooks after he is flopping!!! :fud:

coyotetrpr

I look at the beard when they are coming in, but I get more excited by big old spurs. :drool:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

FttFttVroom!

Full fan, then beard....after shot, I check the spurs

TNTOM

Full fan and check the goods after he's down.  I'm a spur guy if I have to pick. 

MarkJM

Quote from: jblackburn on February 14, 2012, 12:18:20 PM
Honestly, my biggest concern is a full fan (not a jake).  I have never focused on a bird's spurs or beard when getting ready to pull the trigger. 

That being said, I LOVE hooks!!  But, I also love a long paint brush beard!

I really just love turkey hunting!

i'm with blackburn, I do like a nice full fan
MuellerCustomCalls

HOOKS1