turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spurs or beard?

Started by MOStrutter, February 14, 2012, 11:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

There are very few good spurs around here. Even 5 or 6 year old birds are normal with 11/4 spurs. Beards are another story. Lots of 2 year olds here have decent beards. I usualy look at the beard and the fan. That said one of my favorite turkey kills was a big jake.........

gobbler777

I look for spurs  but make sure its at least a 2 year old
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

TANK

One that has sharp spurs..........

strutnva

As long as he is a longbeard when coming is plenty good, when i have my hands on him i look for spurs but I have a problem seeing them before the shot so it's pot luck at that point.

camp man

I'm with the don't look for spurs until he is flopping crew. When a bird is coming in I just try to keep my head down on my gun and look for a full fan or beard then shoot. I have never been able to tell spur lenght at a distance either. I have seen some really good hooks on the videos before the trigger gets pulled.....

YELPA

Spurs but not worried about sizing up anything until he is done flopping.

BC

Gobble!

turkey slayer

h2obil

Scout24

hoyt

I like that long beard to start with cause I never can see the spurs till I walk up to him...but the long spurs are what I prize most.

Shotgun

Once I see a longbeard that is grounds for killing.  First thing I look for when I get to him are the hooks.

HoggleGobble

Spurs everytime!!! I could care less if he has a beard!!

pullit

full fan is the first thing I look for, followed closely by a beard, and last is the spurs.
Where I hunt, (around the edges of fields) it is hard if not impossible to see spurs in the grass.
I consider spurs icing on the cake....