OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi question

Started by mossybird, February 20, 2011, 10:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

What makes Hevi shot pattern better?

Kevin

Skeeterbait

I think there are at least two reasons.  Less deformation of pellets in the gun.  Pellets are deformed due to inertia at setback when the shell is fired and from pressure of constriction in the forcing cone and choke.  harder pellets deform less and rounder pellets fly truer.  Also a smaller heavier pellet bucks wind resistance better.  If a HTL #6 has the weight of a lead #4 but less surface area it is simply more aerodynamic and flies truer with less speed loss.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I wouldn't say that rounder pellets fly truer.  Well in theory they might but a lot of the shot of Hevi-13 isn't really round but irregular pellets.  But it will shoot tremendous patterns downrange at farther distances than lead and retain it's velocity better and penetrate a lot better than lead.  The denser the shot the better it will pattern and penetrate.   That explains why the TSS shot shoots so well and performs so well on turkeys.  

hookedspur

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 21, 2011, 03:18:36 AM
Well I wouldn't say that rounder pellets fly truer.  Well in theory they might but a lot of the shot of Hevi-13 isn't really round but irregular pellets.  But it will shoot tremendous patterns downrange at farther distances than lead and retain it's velocity better and penetrate a lot better than lead.  The denser the shot the better it will pattern and penetrate.   That explains why the TSS shot shoots so well and performs so well on turkeys.  
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WildSpur

Though not related to flight, the Hevi pellets should cause more tissue damage vs. a round pellet.

Cluck more, yelp less