OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public or Private Poll

Started by TANK, February 12, 2012, 08:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of land do you hunt?

Public?
23 (18.7%)
Private?
34 (27.6%)
All Of The Above?
66 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 116

TANK

If you choose "All Of The Above" and don't mind saying let us know which you have the best sucess on........

TANK

I have better luck on private. But the public land I hunt is close (1 to 2 hour drive) from some huge cities.

harvester

I have better luck on private land but enjoy the challenge of hunting public land. The private land I hunt also has other hunters hunting it also but not as many as the public land has.

TANK

Quote from: harvester on February 12, 2012, 08:55:56 PM
I have better luck on private land but enjoy the challenge of hunting public land. The private land I hunt also has other hunters hunting it also but not as many as the public land has.
One of the leases I belong to has more pressure than some of the public land I hunt. About 4 years ago I roosted a turkey the evening before season opened. The next morning at 3:30 I was within 300 yards of his tree. At 5:45 I started counting trucks coming in to hunt on about 2000 acres (we have 8500 leased but at that time only about 2k that was huntable due to clear cutting. We now have less.)I stopped counting at 43 when my turkey gobbled first..........He was dead 15 minutes later. To date, my only double bearded turkey.

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

hookedspur

I have better luck on private. But I hunt public land more.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

woodwzrd

It is about 50/50 for me. I have actually harvested more public land birds but see more birds on private land. Now, I haven't taken a public land bird in about 5 years simply because the area I am living in now has very little public land and very few birds on it and it is extremely over hunted.

omegafoo

I used to hunt private more but got tired of being used by the land owner so I mainly hunt public now unless I've got an invite from friends. I have success on either but it's certainly "easier" when on private land and not having to contend with other hunters.

My biggest bird, however, came from public land. We nearly walked up on him around a 90* corner in the road after chasing him all morning. He just about blew our hats off our head we were so close - maybe 10yards around the bend!

Success on public land is all dependent on how hard you're willing to hunt.

jblackburn

I chose all of the above.  I have killed more birds on private, but some of my best have been public.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

OLE RASPY

I hunt private never have hunted public.

remmy1187

Been better on private for me.

slave601

its about 50/50 for me. i had a buddy that killed turkeys only on private and he thouht he was the cats meow with a mouth call. he called way too loud and too much. always cuttin at turkeys. i finally got him to come to the gov woods with me an i put him on a bird. after his first cuttin sequence he didnt hear him for over 30 mins he give up on em. he stills hunt private and tells me im crazy for huntin public. i love public land. it makes yoiu a better hunter. well in south mississippi it does ;)
"thinnin the flock"

mfd1027

I hunt both and there's no doubt the one's I hunt on private property are easier- way more plentiful too.   To be honest the public land I hunt has less pressure than the private ground and a lot of day's we will have 550,000 acres to ourselves but then again a good day on the public ground is one where you "hear" a single gobble.  I only heard one bird gobbling last year.   The predator's keep em shut down.   I guess if I had to worry about snakes, gators, bobcats, panthers, etc etc I wouldn't gobble either.  :newmascot:
Dan

TANK

Quote from: slave601 on February 12, 2012, 09:37:04 PM
its about 50/50 for me. i had a buddy that killed turkeys only on private and he thouht he was the cats meow with a mouth call. he called way too loud and too much. always cuttin at turkeys. i finally got him to come to the gov woods with me an i put him on a bird. after his first cuttin sequence he didnt hear him for over 30 mins he give up on em. he stills hunt private and tells me im crazy for huntin public. i love public land. it makes yoiu a better hunter. well in south mississippi it does ;)
:icon_thumright:

Hognutz

I am lucky enough to hunt private land most of the time, but have hunted public, as well.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.