turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the strangest place that you set up & killed a gobbler

Started by TANK, February 20, 2011, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

younggun

Inside of the fondation of an old farm house from who knows how may years ago that had burnt.

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

OLE RASPY

My dad has 30 acres of river bottoms and cornfield and  there is a old split beech tree beside the river.The split at the bottom of the tree is just big enough for me to fit in and i killed one out of it.

savduck

Two  feet from an old cemetary on a mountain top in WV. Old family plot with about 20 headstones. We were on the back side working a bird on the bench below us and a bird that we didnt know was there came strutting down the road on the other side of the graves. Shot over some headstones and dropped him in the road.

Shot another one in SC swamp srutting through about 5 inches of water.
Georgia Boy

camp man

In a thin strip of woods in the median of an interstate.....The woods totalled less than an acre. I could hear him gobble the morning before I killed him so while driving home, I checked it out and saw him strutting in a little turn around area in the median woods. The next morning I killed him there.

FireDoc

Came close to killing one in a Cow pasture, SURROUNDED by LARGE cow pies while bellycrawling. After that experience, I wish I could have gotten a clean shot at him.  :o
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

scoot12

My first was a jake and I seen him in a field of main highway about 150 yards away.  Pulled over and asked farmer who owned land if I could hunt.  He knew my dad and said sure.  I snuck in a little sliver of woods between me and him and got to about 100 yards away and sat down.  Started to call and he immediately answered.  It took a while but he finally came in to 20 yards and I let him have it.  Cars where driving by and it was noisy.  When I carried him to truck a few vehicles honked,  must have been hunters. Scoot

TANK

Great Posts Guys! I love hearing about stuff like this............

BowBendr

About 50 yds behind a Wal-mart in a certain Illinois town. Killed several deer over 150" there too out of a stand that gave you a great view of the parking lot. Turkeys will gobble in the spring every time they make a store page on the overhead system.

Jayhawkeye

30 yards away from a western Kansas feedlot w/ 35,000 head of cattle.  thankfully the wind was at our face...
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

knightrider

Quote from: BowBendr on February 23, 2011, 10:37:16 PM
About 50 yds behind a Wal-mart in a certain Illinois town. Killed several deer over 150" there too out of a stand that gave you a great view of the parking lot. Turkeys will gobble in the spring every time they make a store page on the overhead system.
you might be a redneck if you hunt in the wal-mart parking lot :TooFunny: that is awesome right there i dont care who you are thats funny :you_rock:

PANYHunter

I set up on a gobbler last year about 50 yards from an active natural gas drilling well pad.  Pretty noisy that's probably why he didn't come in  :-\   

deerhunt1988

I have killed two gobblers within 50 yards of of a public roads. Both setups I could see cars going by. In one case I watched the turkey strut in the public road before he came my way behind some hens. The other time the bird was headed right to towards the public road when I killed him.

It may not be strange for those hunt Osceolas, but I killed one last year after he flew down in water. Our easterns in MS seem to be scared of water, but that dang osceola flew down in the thickest swamp you could image with water up to the feathers on his leg. I had roosted him the evening before and was sitting on a log with water almost up over my rubber boots. I thought for sure the gobbler would fly down on a piece of dry land in front of me but for some reason he chose the water. It was amazing to me, but I am sure the Florida residents are accustomed to stuff like that.

boyhowdy

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 12:30:37 AM
Where is the "out the truck window folks" But than again that might not be strange to them :TooFunny:

It takes one heck of a caller to call one up to a moving vehicle

PANYHunter

Quote from: boyhowdy on February 24, 2011, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 12:30:37 AM
Where is the "out the truck window folks" But than again that might not be strange to them :TooFunny:

It takes one heck of a caller to call one up to a moving vehicle

Not when they use a rifle.  :goofball: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: