OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is the strangest place that you set up & killed a gobbler

Started by TANK, February 20, 2011, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

What kind of odd places have yall set up or hidden in to kill a turkey? The strangest place I've ever set up on one was under a junked 1950-60's model Catapilar D8 dozer.
  A old WW II veteran I knew stood up in a rotted out stump hole (he was about 5'2) and killed a longbeard at about 5 feet, in the Homochitto NF in Mississippi. He said all that was sticking out of the ground was his head and A5 Browning 12 gauge he brought back from Belguim from the war.

Jay

Nothing that weird, but set up in a plowed field with our cover as ground blinds between terraces. That got us a double.

3chunter

Set up one morning with my back against our hunting clubs deer skinning shed and called in a turkey for my buddy to shoot. 

outlaw

set up against a skidder tire and called one the landing had to wait to shoot so would not hit loader the logger was happy i did :newmascot:
Im a good guy !!!

turkey_slayer

Just off a busy main road.  Bird was on other side and had to call him across.  I was worried he was going to get hit by a car before I could shoot him!

mossybird

turkey_slayer

Ooh just remembered another.  Went on a hunt with a co-worker on a farm he had.  Was going across a field when a bird gobbled.  Only thing there was a shed they use to hang tobacco in and was about to fall apart.  Got in the shed and called the bird in.  3 more steps and I could have poofed him at about 15 yards but the guy I was with tried to shoot through a knot hole and blew a hole through the barn and missed the turkey  :character0029:  

FttFttVroom!

Probably the time I sat up against a natural gas pump station in the middle of one of our spots in western OK.  The turkeys treat it like it's not even there, but it always takes me a little getting used to it every spring.

njdevilsb

Not too strange, but my dad and I got a double last year within 30 yards of my Grandpas camp, and not too far off the main road.  The birds crossed the road after we watched them strut in a driveway and walked down the roadway that leads to the camp.  They had to have passed within 50-60 yards of the truck as well.

knightrider

4nwtf

I killed one while lying in a ditch one time in the middle of a gas line

shootumindaface

Where is the "out the truck window folks" But than again that might not be strange to them :TooFunny:

longspur

30yds from the highway. He circled around and got between me and the highway. Had to watch out for traffic when I shot. I think your supposed to be at least 50yds from public road but he gobbled at the leaves when I was walking in and I was on top of him. Wonder how many would try to get 20 more yds or let him go because its not legal?

hookedspur

We set up in an old tractor shed on a abandoned farm and he circled us and my son shot him through the shed door
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions