turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 and hevi-13 #6 testing

Started by econo, February 20, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

My 870 has a 21" barrel, I just bought a IC choke, am shooting HEVI-13  #6  3"  2oz. loads. The pattern looks great at 30 yards but at 40 yards it drops off over half. Is this normal?  Do you think going to the 7shot will help my 40yard totals? with this same set up?  or do you think these 40yard results are good enough?

May God bless you all

knightrider

Gobble!

Your fine
There's no bird going to walk away from that
The 7s will do better though

joshua

Pattern looks like a killer to me.   :anim_25: this spring.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

njdevilsb

I wouldn't worry about that pattern at all.  You have a nice 10" pattern at 40, not many gaps in it.  I would try the #7's as well, but you're good to go if you choose not to.

ILIKEHEVI-13

With the 7's you will probably increase the 10" by 60 something shot.  That's your call to make.  But I know what I would want.  I would go with the 7's.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mossybird

Try that 40 yard shot again. The downgrade could had just been that particular shell. Both of those will give em a good ol dirt nap.

shootumindaface

Nothing gonna kill em deader than that.. I would not waste another dime

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 21, 2011, 12:50:27 AM
Nothing gonna kill em deader than that.. I would not waste another dime

No need to that will drop em' like a bag of rocks!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

chatterbox

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quote3"  2oz #6   162 is a good pattern. 7 will get better numbers and is my choice but those patterns are just fine.

That will work every time.

S.C.C

Looks fine to me out to 40!!!!
What is the constriction of your IC choke?

VAHUNTER

your 40yd. pattern is a fantasic pattern for hunting  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: more than enough to call your setup a 50yd. slayer. if you wanted a little more i would polish your barrel instead of going to 7's.  those #6's is some bad medacine for those big headed gobblers  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

R AJ

You have  a good 60% more than you need with 6s so why bother to get smaller shot so that you increase the numbers game? That bird is dead with either 6s or 7s, your decision.