News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester ext range vs hevi 13

Started by delta hunter, February 10, 2012, 08:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westtennhunter

Quote from: agturkey on February 14, 2012, 09:33:31 PM
When the rebates stop, pellet counts that can be made on a live turkey head, quality control, and pure performance xtended range will come out on top.....until then others count holes in papers before season while others are scouting and working knowing that the xtended range is ready season is just days away!

Grobec1

Is the winchester extended range different from the supreme high velocity shells?

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I wanted to say that there isn't a thing wrong with using 6's.  And anyone who chooses to shoot 6's more power to you.  There is no doubt about it they will definately penetrate better than the 7's.  But I do think the 7's get a bad rap when people try and say they don't have the power to do the job at farther yardages like past 40yds when they are actually just assuming this and have not seen what the reality of what the 7's will do to a bird at even 45yds.  Again I have.   And so have a lot of others who choose to shoot them.  It's kind of like talking about patterns and offering choke advice based off of hearsay when you have no known experience about that particular gun or choke.  Your really doing nothing more than distorting the facts on what the actual truth is.  Like I said, don't take my word for it.  Go shoot a gobbler with them and see how devastating they really are even out past 40yds.  I'm here to tell you the 7's are overkill at 40yds and then some.  And that is not pointing the finger at anyone inparticular here.  But again at least give them a try before you doubt them.  Hell I was the biggest doubter at first, but I thought I would at least give them a try.  I liked what I seen on paper, but I wanted to see how they actually worked on the real thing.  And I'm here to tell you forget about the hearsay.  They are the real McCoy.

bird

Hey Brad.... Not hearsay but from actually one on one experience. I say that H-13 7's Do Not have the knock down power of 6's and I for one am disappointed in their performance in the field.

duckaholic25

Quote from: bird on February 15, 2012, 08:07:20 PM
Hey Brad.... Not hearsay but from actually one on one experience. I say that H-13 7's Do Not have the knock down power of 6's and I for one am disappointed in their performance in the field.
x2
Shot three last year with hevi 7s and ended up ringing two of the three necks.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well Al I was shocked at the killing power that the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's had after I performed the autopsy.  The autopsy reveals total destruction at 45yds plus.  The bird ain't going to knock the killing power of those 7's I don't believe.  Like I said I had my doubts at first, but not anymore.  

And again look at the destruction.   This is what I seen with my own eyes.  I show this not to argue, but to show the actual proof for others that may doubt the 7's killing power.  

There you can see complete pass thrus at 45yds plus and believe me it was at least that and then some.  

Look at all those shot on the top of the breast and the damage it caused in the neck area.  

And this was the opposite side of the breast as you can clearly see from the other picture above where the shot blew plum through the breast and some exited as you can clearly see here.  

And that's not counting the 23 or 24 shot that I dug out of the breast that were deeply embedded.

Now with results like this what more could a guy want?  I know another guy that killed 2 last year with the 7's at about the same distance and his autopsy was about like mine.  

And that was just a 3" load out of my 870.  Just think what it would have done to this bird with my 835 and the Star Dot choke with a 3.5" load that would put a lot more shot in the bird no question.    

FttFttVroom!

I started with Winchester lead loads, so the move to extended range just made sense when Winchester came out with them.  I never went to Hevi because I never had a choke rated for it.  Now that I got a jelly head, I'm willing to try them out.....but will happily shoot Winchester XRHD any day of the week.

Luke95

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 15, 2012, 07:27:08 PM
And I wanted to say that there isn't a thing wrong with using 6's.  And anyone who chooses to shoot 6's more power to you.  There is no doubt about it they will definately penetrate better than the 7's.  But I do think the 7's get a bad rap when people try and say they don't have the power to do the job at farther yardages like past 40yds when they are actually just assuming this and have not seen what the reality of what the 7's will do to a bird at even 45yds.  Again I have.   And so have a lot of others who choose to shoot them.  It's kind of like talking about patterns and offering choke advice based off of hearsay when you have no known experience about that particular gun or choke.  Your really doing nothing more than distorting the facts on what the actual truth is.  Like I said, don't take my word for it.  Go shoot a gobbler with them and see how devastating they really are even out past 40yds.  I'm here to tell you the 7's are overkill at 40yds and then some.  And that is not pointing the finger at anyone inparticular here.  But again at least give them a try before you doubt them.  Hell I was the biggest doubter at first, but I thought I would at least give them a try.  I liked what I seen on paper, but I wanted to see how they actually worked on the real thing.  And I'm here to tell you forget about the hearsay.  They are the real McCoy.
Please explain me having to choke out a fello hunting club members bird after he shot it at 35 yds...with 7s idk I just won't drink the cool aid after that adventure

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Luke95 on February 15, 2012, 10:49:01 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 15, 2012, 07:27:08 PM
And I wanted to say that there isn't a thing wrong with using 6's.  And anyone who chooses to shoot 6's more power to you.  There is no doubt about it they will definately penetrate better than the 7's.  But I do think the 7's get a bad rap when people try and say they don't have the power to do the job at farther yardages like past 40yds when they are actually just assuming this and have not seen what the reality of what the 7's will do to a bird at even 45yds.  Again I have.   And so have a lot of others who choose to shoot them.  It's kind of like talking about patterns and offering choke advice based off of hearsay when you have no known experience about that particular gun or choke.  Your really doing nothing more than distorting the facts on what the actual truth is.  Like I said, don't take my word for it.  Go shoot a gobbler with them and see how devastating they really are even out past 40yds.  I'm here to tell you the 7's are overkill at 40yds and then some.  And that is not pointing the finger at anyone inparticular here.  But again at least give them a try before you doubt them.  Hell I was the biggest doubter at first, but I thought I would at least give them a try.  I liked what I seen on paper, but I wanted to see how they actually worked on the real thing.  And I'm here to tell you forget about the hearsay.  They are the real McCoy.
Please explain me having to choke out a fello hunting club members bird after he shot it at 35 yds...with 7s idk I just won't drink the cool aid after that adventure

Luke95

Luke,

If you hit a bird with a well centered good shooting pattern of 7's on the head and neck of a bird at 35yds, there will be no need to choke. 

Ctomp1974

Quote from: bird on February 15, 2012, 08:07:20 PM

There have been enough memebers on here that I respect having this problem. That's why I have stayed with the 6's. Especially those Magic Lot#s that put up the big numbers. Anyone who has opened a Hevi shell has seen the difference in shot size. When you are putting up 340+ with hevi 7's, IMO there are most likely alot of 7+ sizes. There has to be, due to the weight of the shot, 2.25 = 2.25oz. I alway joke about the 6's being the original Magnum Blend. There are definately some 5,6,7's in there, probably with a few 4's and 8's. I believe that 12/cc #7's are borderline enough, 8's are not. Cut any hevi shell open and i promise you'll find smaller shot than advertised.

With all that being said. To the original poster, I prefer Hevi 6's over Ext. 6's only for the payload(pattern). I haven't been biiten by any quality issues yet. The ext range have more velocity and are without a doubt more consistent. they will both put approx. 200 in a 10" circle, so there is no escape with either.

One more thing is availability. I have had to order Hevi-shot on single sizes, Ex. 6's. I can pick up Ext. range at BPS.

stinkpickle

Luke95

That sounds more like a marginal hit to me.  At 35 yards, I have copperplated lead #7.5's that break necks.

Gobble!

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 16, 2012, 10:58:41 AM

Luke95

That sounds more like a marginal hit to me.  At 35 yards, I have copperplated lead #7.5's that break necks.

x2

ILIKEHEVI-13

Another bird that was smoked with the Hevi-13 #7's by a guy on here who I enjoy talking to.  This one was shot at 47yds.  Again look at the autopsy results.  Now if that damage don't prove to you that 7's will easily kill a bird at this yardage then I don't know what will.  Now this is not trying to promote long shots either, but take it for what it is.  Even the coroner would say the bird died from multiple shot devastation.  

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=612543&highlight=hevi

30_06

I think I posted this last year, but this is one I shot at 35 yards with the 3" 2oz Hevi #7's.

Have not had that much damage on all of the ones I have taken at that range so I suspect some clumping or something due to the high humidity at the time, but they have always done the job for me.

goblr77

If Winchester would up their loads to 2.25 oz I might give them another shot. Until then I'm sticking with Hevi.      I would rather have the extra pattern density. I used to shoot XR 5's, then switched to Hevi 6's, and then to Hevi 7's last season. The Hevi 7's will kill at 50+ easily with the patterns they're capable of. No neck wringing involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk