turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Goose down versus Thinsulate for cold weather

Started by mossy835, February 20, 2011, 07:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossy835

So where we live it gets cold,wet and windy. Wet and snow here means DriPlus or Gore Tex as a given outer protection.

So I use goose down and Thinsulate to keep warm in the winter and I seem to favor the down when it is bone chilling weather. What has been your experience between the two?

furtracker

cahaba

The best warmth with little bulk hunting clothes in Cabelas Legacy fleece with WindShear.  I freeze to death in down if the wind is blowing.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mossy835

Quote from: cahaba on February 20, 2011, 08:24:28 PM
The best warmth with little bulk hunting clothes in Cabelas Legacy fleece with WindShear.  I freeze to death in down if the wind is blowing.

I use Wind Shear also but over my down or Thinsulate jacket and you can feel the warmth build up immediately but that is not good in our rain wet weather if you are out side for any length of time. I really like the wind shear during late spring or early fall but I seldom use it in winter or late fall. It will shed a mist or sporadic rain but not constant rain. Thank you for your response.

turkey slayer

It doesn't get all that cold around here, but I love my goose down!

hookedspur

Quote from: cahaba on February 20, 2011, 08:24:28 PM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

shootumindaface

Neither... Nothing is warmer and thinner  than wool with a windproof layer.. I have some of this and it is very nice

http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/category.aspx?categoryID=12

turkey_slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 20, 2011, 11:02:43 PM
Neither... Nothing is warmer and thinner  than wool with a windproof layer.. I have some of this and it is very nice

Bingo  :icon_thumright: Its pricey though!

shootumindaface

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 20, 2011, 11:05:19 PM

It is....

A cheaper wool that is warm up here even in below zero temps is the Browning Highland wool.. Its lined with 200weight fleece and is windproof.. Its really really nice as well.

mossy835

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 20, 2011, 11:08:07 PM

It is....

A cheaper wool that is warm up here even in below zero temps is the Browning Highland wool.. Its lined with 200weight fleece and is windproof.. Its really really nice as well.

It is pricey and I am sure it is warm. Do you wear any water proof jacket over the wool?

mossy835

Another part of my question is gloves that work and keep you hands warm even in the rain what do you use.
Mike

turkey_slayer

Quote from: mossy835 on February 21, 2011, 02:05:02 AM
Another part of my question is gloves that work and keep you hands warm even in the rain what do you use.
Mike

Never found a pair of gloves that actually stayed warm.  Mittens contain heat better but you will still get cold.  Only thing I've found is a hand muff with a hand warmer or 2 thrown in.

shootumindaface

Quote from: mossy835 on February 21, 2011, 01:57:22 AM
Quote from: shootumindaface on February 20, 2011, 11:08:07 PM

It is....

It is pricey and I am sure it is warm. Do you wear any water proof jacket over the wool?
No if you need to the wool mentioned earlier, it isnt gonna be raining LOL

Wool is incredible at retaining its insulating properties even while wet... Actually if you are proper layered and wearing one of the above wools, in most cases not enough body heat escapes to even melt the snow on your parka..

mossy835

You would here, it can be 35 Degrees raining with 30 40 mph winds and that is darn cold but wet. I have a great Wool Pendleton western hat and it as you say thin and non bulky and it works OK until it gets soaked then it is wet and cold. I have looked at wool and two of my old elk hunting buddies wear it but they come in cold an wet, I prefer warm and dry. Like they say wool has been around for years and many love it. If I lived on the east side of WA I would use it most of the time as it is usually snow and cold. Great info on the two wool jackets, I did take a look for the future.
Thanks Mike