turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moss. 835

Started by hawk, February 20, 2011, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk

Been looking at these and just wondering if any of the 835 shooters here have done anything to tighten up or remove the side/side play in the forearme.

knightrider

ive owned an 835 or 5 or 6 ever since they came out it has never been a problem :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: hawk on February 20, 2011, 06:13:30 PM
Been looking at these and just wondering if any of the 835 shooters here have done anything to tighten up or remove the side/side play in the forearme.

That's a standard feature.   :z-guntootsmiley:

They may not be the most fancy of gun, but they sure shoot great.  I have had my Moss since 1999 I believe and it has yet to cause me a problem.  Look at the patterns on here from guys who own them like drum, skeeterbait, and VAHUNTER and you will see why they like them. 

hunter177

I love my 835. That's just the way 500s and 835s are made. I've owned several in the past and they were all built with play in the forearm. It's possible that tightening the forearm may hurt performance. I'd leave it go. Good luck this Spring!
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

BowBendr

Hearing that little rattle while i'm walking reminds me that i'm just in the woods with an old friend.  :icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: BowBendr on February 20, 2011, 06:23:00 PM
Hearing that little rattle while i'm walking reminds me that i'm just in the woods with an old friend.  :icon_thumright:

That's a good one.  

You know that little play in the forearm was the last of my worries after seeing how my buddy's 835 shot.  I knew right then I had to have one.  And I don't regret once making the purchase.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

devin4484

I heard that on the turkey thug edition the foregrip doesn't rattle at all.

Skeeterbait

It is unfortunate that they do rattle a bit but the looseness prevents binding or failure.  Most pumps are going to rattle.  The Benelli Nova rattles worse in my opinion. Many hated when the Army replace the 1911 with Berettas.  The 1911 would rattle and the Beretta wouldn't.  But the 1911 could be dropped in the mud and still save your life.  The Beretta gets dirty and the slide fails to close.

The rattle is not actually caused by the side to side motion.  The rattle comes from where the slide bars engage the bolt. The forearm rattles when it is moved forward and back, not side to side.  To stop the side to side motion would require a tongue and track connection between the forearm and magazine tube.  This would require frequent dissassembly of the forearm to clean.  The current system of riding just on dimples requires little maintenance.

devin4484

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 20, 2011, 07:55:16 PM
 Most pumps are going to rattle.  The Benelli Nova rattles worse in my opinion.
:agreed:

joshua

Excellant post skeeter.  I own 3 835's.  One of wich is the original one they came out with around 89-90 I think.  The years of using this gun has made it the smoothest of the 3.  The only thing that has ever broke was the small screw that holds the extractor arm in place.  And this is on the newest of the 3.  If I'm gonna use that gun I just use the screw out of one of the others.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: joshua on February 20, 2011, 08:32:26 PM
Excellant post skeeter.  I own 3 835's.  One of wich is the original one they came out with around 89-90 I think.  The years of using this gun has made it the smoothest of the 3.  The only thing that has ever broke was the small screw that holds the extractor arm in place.  And this is on the newest of the 3.  If I'm gonna use that gun I just use the screw out of one of the others.

That would be 1987.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

RustySap

Have mine since 1991 and the noise does not bother me.

hookedspur

Its those little  differences like a rattle or 1/2 heavier or lighter or any number of things that help us decide what to carry, good thing we all don't like the same thing, or be bothered by the same thing. We would all be to much alike .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

anthonyjhallen

Moleskin on the inside will help.