Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HEVI-Shot .664 vs Rhino .660 (Xtrema2 Optima +)

Started by HoggleGobble, February 09, 2012, 10:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Just bought a new Xtrema2 and a 25rd box of 3 1/2" 2 7/16 oz 4x5x7 nitros. What is the best choke combination for this gun? I see the HEVI-shot choke is a .664 constriction, and the Rhino is a .660 constriction, but the rhino is twice the price.... Thanks in advance guys!!! Bought to place the order today.

drenalinld

I would prefer the larger diameter for that heavy payload. I bet the hevi choke would perform at least as well as the Rhino for less money. I have two Rhino's for SBEII and 870 SM. They are good but don't outperform the cheaper jelly heads. I am about to test a hevi choke in the SBEII.

goblr77

The Hevishot brand choke for a Beretta Optima + is .671....or at least they were last year. Shoots outstanding with Hevi 7's.

HoggleGobble

Now I am really confused!! I called Hevi-shot to see what the Turkey choke constriction is, and they told me .656!!!! I told them for Optima Plus 12 ga....... Can anybody shed any light on this?

goblr77

Quote from: HoggleGobble on February 09, 2012, 12:20:48 PM
Now I am really confused!! I called Hevi-shot to see what the Turkey choke constriction is, and they told me .656!!!! I told them for Optima Plus 12 ga....... Can anybody shed any light on this?

I checked mine with dial calipers and it was .671. Mr. Clark lists them on his site as .671 and he will probably check one for you if you want to buy it.  I don't believe the folks at Hevi know what they have. Check out the link.

http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=203

HoggleGobble

Quote from: goblr77 on February 09, 2012, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: HoggleGobble on February 09, 2012, 12:20:48 PM

I checked mine with dial calipers and it was .671. Mr. Clark lists them on his site as .671 and he will probably check one for you if you want to buy it.  I don't believe the folks at Hevi know what they have. Check out the link.

http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=203

Thank You!! I just called Mack's Prairie Wings and told them they had the choke listed at .664, and asked them to check and see what is was. They said a .671 so I ordered it. Thank you!! Still mistified that HEVI couldn't tell me their own produects constriction.....

reynolds243

yeah the beretta/benelli moblie choke is listed as 656 so maybe they were confused as to which one you were asking about. Still no excuse thoughl.

Longshanks

Xtrema 2/ hevi 13 choke .671

333 in a 10 @ 40/. 3.5/2.25/7's Hevi 13

*shot Rhino .660, PG .670, JH .660, and Kicks .670 before settling on this combo.

snoodlum

Nitro Ammo Co has a website that has their test results and recommendations for loads and chokes for most all turkey guns

Longshanks

Quote from: snoodlum on July 11, 2014, 06:33:03 PM
Nitro Ammo Co has a website that has their test results and recommendations for loads and chokes for most all turkey guns

That Nitro website is right on the money. They have done the testing for best patterns with their shells. When I was shooting the Nitro shells 4x5x7 out of my Xtrema Nitro recommended me shoot the JH .660. Brutal combination and it would also shoot the Hevi 13 3/2/6's really well. POA/POI was a big issue with this combo and ran out of adjustment on a set of tru glo iron sights. Seemed to have something to do with shells being too hot, too much pressure, or just the wad in the 3.5 shell out of that choke. Went with the more open Hevi 13 choke and it will turn amazing patterns with most of the Hevi 13 shells and lead as well.

*reopened this thread because I have a number of folks emailing me about the xtrema and choke/shell combinations.

allaboutshooting

I apologize but I missed this thread and question apparently some time back. That choke does have a .671 exit diameter http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=333

I do not shoot Nitro shells however, so I can't be of any help with that question.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nothingbutlongbeards

allaboutshooting

Quote from: rainingmallards on September 28, 2014, 11:31:35 AM
I haven't shot a better turkey tube than the Hevishot HEVI13

They are excellent products. I have not had one person who has purchased one who has not been satisfied with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."