OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

...A Cane Call for Turkey-Slayer...

Started by NCBigShot, February 08, 2012, 06:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCBigShot

..Recently got to know Ralph (Turkey-Slayer) though a phone conversation about a week ago. He's a great guy and a long-time turkey killer.. Delighted to find out he knows my Uncle Lee and owns a couple of his 1-sider box calls! Ralph was interested in my cane yelpers and requested one to be made with a brass cartridge ferrule. He sent me some spent casings and I whipped up this little number for him using .270 brass.. Turned out pretty with a trumpet flare at the end of the bell.
Here she is Ralph.. Hope you like 'er!

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

turkey-slayer

Hey Ken this cane yelper looks Real Nice. I hope to play some sweet turkey music with this caller. You did a nice job putting the call together for me and I appreciate you making it for me.

870BkWht

NC,  this is the best looking cane yelper Ive seen you make yet.  Congrats to the recipient and to the maker as well.

savduck

Georgia Boy

MarkJM

Wow ken, this call looks great. I really like the looks of the bamboo stained like that. is that a natural color or a dark finish? I know some bamboo is dark like that
MuellerCustomCalls

NCBigShot

Quote from: MarkJM on February 08, 2012, 10:30:43 PM
Wow ken, this call looks great. I really like the looks of the bamboo stained like that. is that a natural color or a dark finish? I know some bamboo is dark like that

..Thanks for the comment.. It's true that like most woods, cane (bamboo) can have varying color qualities depending on age, growing conditions, or just plain nature... I apply a dark stain to give the call both an 'antique' look and to resemble the look of a turned hardwood yelper.
....And let me say it ain't easy!... Cane is hard and not very absorbent of finishes... That's one of the reasons these calls take as long as they do to produce.

Thanks again for the praise! If anyone is interested in trying one of my callers check the classifieds for the thread entitled "NCBigShot's Yelpers"...

TarheelTurk

Ken you've out done yourself w/ that one man!! Looks amazing w/ that stain ! Awesome job .....
Jason

Btw - you going to the Dixie deer classic this year ?
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: 870BkWht on February 08, 2012, 07:57:56 PM
NC,  this is the best looking cane yelper Ive seen you make yet.  Congrats to the recipient and to the maker as well.
X2, very nice work and yeah we are noticing! :icon_thumright:
Anybody seen America lately?

NCBigShot

..Your comments mean a lot to me and keep me very motivated to keep on with my call making.. Thanks again!

..Tarheel, yep, I'll be there. Shoot me a PM before the show..Would be happy to meet up with you!

TarheelTurk

Quote from: NCBigShot on February 09, 2012, 08:56:56 PM

..Your comments mean a lot to me and keep me very motivated to keep on with my call making.. Thanks again!

..Tarheel, yep, I'll be there. Shoot me a PM before the show..Would be happy to meet up with you!

[/quote  I sure will Ken same here! Look forward to it . Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

turkey slayer

Basser69