OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I buy a new barrel

Started by JWC07, February 07, 2012, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWC07

I have a 28" 870 Super Mag I'm gonna turn into a turkey specific gun as I plan on picking up a autoloader for duck hunting and I use my Browning 16 for everything else. I am considering buying a 23" barrel for it. Should I do it? I always liked the shorter barrels cause IMO they're easier handling in the woods but I just can't make up my mind.

RutnNStrutn

I have a dedicated turkey barrel for my 870. If I recall correctly it is around that length. I say go for it, especially if you are going to put optics of some kind on it. I did, and I love it!

Remturkey

That 28" will throw some nice patterns. I would just keep it.

Grunt-N-Gobble

I too would think the 28" barrel will pattern better.

But if you think 5" will make a big difference in handling, then go for it.

BrowningGuy88

I have hunted with a 21" barreled compact 870 for years. Bought a 835 with a 24" then got a 1300 NWTF with a 24" then last year hunted with a 30" Model 12 some.

My next will have a 26" barrel. The 21" - 23" is a one trick pony to me as I can't wing shoot with a short barrel. Also 28" - 30" barrels are best left to the duck blinds, skeet fields, and dove fields in my little shooting world. So 26" it will be for me.

Personally if I was you and wanted a dedicated Turkey ONLY gun, I would get a 21" or 23" barrel and roll on!

JWC07

Well the 28 definitely sticks up over my head!

SumToy

Cut that one off for 35 bucks is what I would do.  :fud:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wmd

Quote from: SumToy on February 07, 2012, 09:44:13 PM
Cut that one off for 35 bucks is what I would do.  :fud:

I am about to be in the same situation - so just to clarify: you do the cutting and threading? 

SumToy

Yes Sir we cut them and thread them for 35. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JWC07

Have considered that because I would possibly be able to find another "long" barrel easier/cheaper and I kinda want to have it in case I ever want it.

Mr16Gauge

For what it is worth, we have found that a shorter barrel is easier to manuever around in tight heavly brushed locals, whch is where we have hunted for the past three or four seasons.

Common wisdom says a longer barrel will have a better pattern, however, each barrel, choke and ammo combination behave differenctly.

Good luck with your choice.

:OGturkeyhead:

gophert

I agree..a 28" barrel is a bit long for turkey with the chokes available today.  However, If you want big pellet count numbers that 28 would do just that. 

Just for comparison...I had a 26" on my 870SM and then bought a 23" to hunt with.  The difference in the pellet count between the 2 barrels with the exact setup was about 30 pellets less in the shorter barrel in a 10" circle at 40 yards. 

I was ok seeing that I was still putting right at 300 hits in that 10" circle. 

Mr16Gauge

That reduction sounds about what we have seen in the past also.

Will have to look at the data sheets when we get back to the Shop late this week.

Good hunting

:OGturkeyhead:

JWC07

I would be happy with that.

I am trying to buy a short barrel right now. If that falls through I will probably end up sending mine to get cut down. I appreciate all the opinions. I knew what I wanted to do I just needed some reassurance I suppose. :)

JWC07

I got a 23" barrel and put on it. I am happy. Haven't shot it but it sure feels better with that and the Shurshot stock i just put on it. It was kinda awkward with the Shurshot and long barrel. Now it's much meaner.

I just hope it patterns somewhere near as well as the 28 did. It's a killa.