OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scopes on a turkey gun?

Started by GobblinNC, February 07, 2012, 01:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobblinNC

I ordered a Nikon Turkeypro 1.65x5 scope to put on my SBEII. I've never hunted with a scope for turkeys and am worried i will have trouble picking up a moving turkey or getting a second shot if needed. Do any of ya'll hunt with this scope or another scope for turkeys? does it help in the turkey woods?

jerseyjimk

To eachs own,but I would rather have open sights to get a better field of view

joker

If you are have used scopes a lot and are good at getting in the scope you should be ok.

gobblingghost

I've shot a scoped turke gun for years. I love it. Its only bit me one time thats because another turkey sneeked in on my lft side and was silent, but he didn't get any either

rebelman

I bought the same scope but haven't mounted it yet. If you are too concerned get the see through mounts to have the best of both worlds.

WildSpur

I think you will be ok at lower power.  I had to take my old pro diamond 4x32 off because target acquisition was difficult at close range.  If I had the variable power I still would have it on today.  1 or 2x should be perfect.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Ctomp1974

I found a Pentax Zero Power shotgun scope. Good field of view and I sill get the precision of the cross hairs. It also has the Circle that represents 30" at 40yds. Can't wait to get it on a turkey.
My father-in-law just picked up the scope you have. Its very nice. You have the luxury of sighting in POA/POI at high power, then hunting on low. Good field of view.

Good luck
Clint

stick bow

I used a scope for a year then decided it wasn't for me. On one occasion I had two coyotes run in on my decoys so fast at first light that i could get only one because of the scope. I had the same thing on a tom that just came running across that I just could not get him in the scope guick enough. Scopes not for me.

natman

Scopes can certainly work, but I don't see the need.

Calling in a turkey is hard. Shooting it is easy. You're shooting at a more-or-less stationary target, at a range of 50 yards or less with a shotgun. It's not 22 target shooting for groups.

I'm a big fan of some sort of sight because it's just too easy to get your head in not exactly the perfect position, but open sights are fine. I don't use open sights on rifles anymore, but I can put the red blur between the green blur well enough for turkeys.

See through mounts sound like a good idea, but in reality, they mount the scope too high for a proper shooting position. The last thing you want is to have to decide which set of sights to use for a quick shot.

30_06

I prefer a scope on my turkey guns. It allows me an unobstructed view of the whole turkey, and no I have never had trouble "finding" them in the scope or getting off a second shot if needed.

Spurcollecta

I prefer a scope on my turkey gun. I actually use the same nikon that you mentioned and IMO, it's one of the best scopes on the market. Leave it on 2x when you hunt and you're good to go! You can have a hard time with target aquisition if you leave it on high power..

Do you need a scope to turkey hunt? No, but you can be downright surgical with them at long range and up close. Most misses are because the turkey was either too close or too far and for me a scope is the way to go. Most peoples guns don't hit true poa after they install custom choke and shoot hevishot (In my experience), so they do need an adjustable sight. Whether or not it is a scope, red dot, reflex, adjustable iron sights is up to them. It is MY OPINION that a scope is the most precise and allows you to shoot more accurately in low light conditions.

EVERY type of sight has pro's and cons. I'm just glad there's alot of good choices!

shuey270

dirt road ninja

I tried the scope thing a few years ago and it wasn't for me. I've had good luck with the Truglo iron sights. They are durable, easy to install/adjust and rock solid. To me a scope adds to many variables to my gun. Most shots are not taken on the edge of my max range anyway. Lots of guys love them and you won't know till ya try it.

GobblinNC

I'm going to test the truglo gobble dot adjustable sights on my gun before i commit to putting the scope on

Mr16Gauge

As was stated earlier, each to his/her own.

We have an 870 with iron sights that has the ability to mount a Scope, a red dot or any other optical device.

9 out of 10 time, we go with just the iron sights.

Good luck , just make certain that you spend some time at the range, prior to going afield.

Good Luck

:cowboy: