Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Re-patterned the SX3 this morning! ( pic now added)

Started by chipper, February 20, 2011, 12:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

After two weeks of tweaking on my gun I finally got the new SX3 to put up a high count at 40, Its not what a lot of guys are putting up on the OG but Its the best pattern I've ever shot in 22 years of turkey hunting. At a taped 40 yards shooting a Winchester SX3, 3.5 , 2.25, #7's I put 262 in the 10" and 501 in the 20" I'm tickled to death! poa and poi are off about 2 inches, but that could have been me because I broke out my old school mossberg from 1990's with a [ i think] .690 Bansner Tru-glo and shot the same load and had snot dripping off my chin when I shot the SX3, The Old mossy 835 didn't put but 167 in the 10" and 378  total for the 10 and 20 but was a very even pattern that I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with at all out to 40 yards but its been a long time since I've shot it and I've reached a decision that the old 835 KICKSSSSS. I shot a IC .665 in the SX3. The picture is 7 or 8 posts down the page.

bird

Good deal.... Sounds like a heck of gun.  So lets see a picture of the turkey killer!

njdevilsb

Sounds like you have 2 good turkey guns.  Post some pics of the patterns as well.  We're pattern junkies here, we love to see them. 

chipper

when the kids and wife get in I'll see if they know how to post pictures, I have not the foggiest idea how to do that. My patterns from a week or so ago were running in the 165 to 200 range in the 10" and I posted about my choke tube being so dirty so I cleaned it real good and re-deep cleaned the gun and it give the pattern this morning so maybe I'm on to something keeping The IC really clean. I hunted all last year with that choke in my old SX2 that I had and never cleaned it till this year so maybe the wad catchers in the tube being gunked up was what was holding her back.

bird

Quote from: chipper on February 20, 2011, 01:05:37 PM
when the kids and wife get in I'll see if they know how to post pictures, I have not the foggiest idea how to do that.

Here you go.... http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10.0.html

ILIKEHEVI-13

Gobble!

platinumwindow99

chipper

here it is, thanks to my daughter. The date on my camera is wrong, this was shot this morning.

1esso

I think thats great, any more in the 10 and i would be afraid its getting a little tight. Thats close to what i am getting and i am satisfied.

chipper

I've got a .675 Madd Super max coming and I will repattern when I get it but I'm extremely happy with it the way it is. I tried a .675 kicks a couple of weeks ago that did not do that great though.

hookedspur

Quote from: bird on February 20, 2011, 12:58:58 PM
Good deal.... Sounds like a heck of gun.  So lets see a picture of the turkey killer!
Pics Please:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WyoHunter

Great pattern! You do your part and the gun will do its part and you'll have your turkey!  :icon_thumright:
:fud: :newmascot:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Reloader

Looks good.  I like the copenhagen size dot for an aiming point :)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: chipper on February 20, 2011, 02:37:39 PM
I've got a .675 Madd Super max coming and I will repattern when I get it but I'm extremely happy with it the way it is. I tried a .675 kicks a couple of weeks ago that did not do that great though.

Chipper, That MAD ought to do better yet.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

I'd put money on it.