OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field Turkey Logic?

Started by guesswho, February 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Here's my 2 cents:
I was hunting field birds this year and got surprised by a gobbler. I had zero time to put out a decoy, so I got setup in a position about 5 yards off the field, where I could still see the small cul-de-sac of the field I was hunting.
The gobbler came in, but took an angle that wouldn't allow for a shot due to distance. He circled in to my left, and went to some hens on the powerline.
Point is, it was exciting. I don't know if a decoy would've made the difference or not, but I don't believe you have to have decoys out to kill a gobbler in a field if you can hide about 5 -10 yards off the field edge.

BigHooks

Ronnie remember thouse turkeys you were talking about last year, you know the ones that were making funny noises in the tree an then flue down a hurt there self, I believe you said they blow ed up an there tail fanned out an there wings drop, an they maid funny noises after they were on the ground. I believe that's what the decoys are for they help com them down before they get the beak rot.  
                  Try it Ronnie you mite like it.. Johnny...                

OLE RASPY

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 06:36:42 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 06, 2012, 05:58:29 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
...Just trying to see how different my thinking is compared to other turkey hunters I guess...

Psychiatrist needed.   ;)
:agreed: I don't deny that.   I read a lot of these threads and realize my turkey thinking isn't mainstream.
Dont you kill turkeys every year.By the looks of all them beards in that pic you have posted before you dont need any help ronnie.Continue on. :toothy9:

guesswho

Quote from: BigHooks on February 06, 2012, 06:59:12 PM
Ronnie remember thouse turkeys you were talking about last year, you know the ones that were making funny noises in the tree an then flue down a hurt there self, I believe you said they blow ed up an there tail fanned out an there wings drop, an they maid funny noises after they were on the ground. I believe that's what the decoys are for they help com them down before they get the beak rot.  
                  Try it Ronnie you mite like it.. Johnny...                
You talking about the ones that I thought had been shot before because they had their tail up and were dragging both their wings and walking funny?   

Those were mercy killings.   I don't know if a decoy could of helped them or not.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Chuck1443

I like decoys , they bring'm right in front of the gun showing off .I've had toms circle me and strut right past me going to the decoys without the decoys might not have got a shot , they know where they should see her if he don't  you'll be chasing a gobble that keeps moving away

BigHooks

That's the one's they sure help me last year.....

guesswho

Quote from: Chuck1443 on February 06, 2012, 07:43:39 PM
they know where they should see her if he don't  you'll be chasing a gobble that keeps moving away
So if he doesn't see decoys or a real hen then he's going to move away from the calling? 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Chuck1443

Yes, in my opinion they do cause they never seen her on the first pass through why come back , best bet stop calling use the terrain try to get in front again

vaturkey

Ronnie

This is Field Turkey Logic at its best !  At the far right you see a DSD hen decoy. In the middle you see a DSD jake decoy. And at the far left you see a big ole Barbour Co. Alabama " ROLL TIDE " Longbeard. Now this gobbler & another longbeard heard my calling & spotted these decoys from over 200 yds away & came in a dead run right to me. If you would just invite me down to help you exterminate some of your gobblers I'm sure I can make a true believer out of you.  :newmascot:

Vaturkey

guesswho

How do you know when your in front again?  How far will they usually go if they don't see a decoy or hen?
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: vaturkey on February 06, 2012, 08:19:54 PM

Ronnie

This is Field Turkey Logic at its best !  At the far right you see a DSD hen decoy. In the middle you see a DSD jake decoy. And at the far left you see a big ole Barbour Co. Alabama " ROLL TIDE " Longbeard. Now this gobbler & another longbeard heard my calling & spotted these decoys from over 200 yds away & came in a dead run right to me. If you would just invite me down to help you exterminate some of your gobblers I'm sure I can make a true believer out of you.  :newmascot:

Decoys are the only turkeys left in Barbour County. :'( 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

BigHooks

Tell him Ricky I'm so mad I can't.... LOL

vaturkey

Ronnie

I noticed here lately that you've been asking an awful lot of questions about decoys. It's OK to admit that you're on the verge of doing the decoy dive.

:wagon: to the Decoy Bandwagon  :icon_thumright:                                                                                                         
Vaturkey

guesswho

Quote from: vaturkey on February 06, 2012, 09:58:11 PM

Ronnie

I noticed here lately that you've been asking an awful lot of questions about decoys. It's OK to admit that you're on the verge of doing the decoy dive.

:wagon: to the Decoy Bandwagon  :icon_thumright:                                                                                                         
I ask a lot of questions about vasectomies too, but that don't mean I'm going to the snip and clip.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

BigHooks

Ronnie, man you can go ahead an use some know body will know even mercy birds like decoys too..