OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Field Turkey Logic?

Started by guesswho, February 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

The do you use a decoy thread has me thinking again.   A lot of people said the only time they use dekes is when their hunting fields.    I don't use dekes anytime, but if I was going to use them it would be in the woods and not on a field.   The last thing I want when hunting a field turkey is to be pinned down because of a deke. What is the logic behind using a deke when hunting fields?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

I-55Bandit

IMO, Field turkeys want to see the hen. Also, it can help take attention off the hunter if placed right

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Turkeys are looking for visual verification of the source of sound they are responding to.

If you are trying to call a turkey out of a field and into the woods, I can understand why you might not need a decoy, however, if the gobbler you are working is already in the field or you are calling him into a field, a decoy provides the reassurance one needs to get him in gun range.

You sacrifice mobility for the confidence and visual confirmation provided by a decoy but that's a tradeoff I gladly accept.

One way or the other, it's unlikely that I would be doing much moving around if I was within a turkeys eyesight. Consequently, the decoy offers a huge advantage and in the event that a gobbler moves off, I can then easily reposition and develop a new strategy.

The decoy doesn't handcuff you at all as long you realize that it isn't a guarantee and make your initial set-up with the option to implement a second strategy based on how the gobbler acts and where he goes once he has had exposure to the decoy.

CASH

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM
What is the logic behind using a deke when hunting fields?

To get you to think about more questions!

:goofball:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

stinkpickle

All of the above, plus...

They work for me in the fields, but they work against me in the woods.  I implement accordingly.   ;)

Tuttle

guesswho

Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2012, 02:37:42 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM
What is the logic behind using a deke when hunting fields?

To get you to think about more questions!

:goofball:
It don't take much ;D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Spurs

I used to use them in a field, but I forgot it one day.  Had a bird work to me from 200 yards across the field at a dead run...no deek.  Never toted that thing again.
This year is going to suck!!!

barry

I hunt fields mostly since I'm in a wheelchair. Have killed birds without dekes but it makes it easier for me to position my chair for a shot if the bird has his attention on something besides me. Plus it's fun to watch some of the things toms do around dekes.

RutnNStrutn

A field set up is perfect for dekes!! A lot of times turkeys won't walk into woods looking for the birds (you) they are hearing. Other times, even with dekes, a gobbler won't leave his hens, or the hens will take him away from the ho (deke) that is trying to steal their man. That's when a strutting deke works wonders!! I've had numerous gobblers leave their hens and come charging in to my strutting deke to whip some butt.
So what's with all the decoy questions Ronnie? You want to try some this season, dontcha? ;D
I've heard old bathtubs work too!!! ;)

JWC07

I like to put decoys out in a field so I can nap without calling if they aren't gobbling. I did that once, woke up and killed one that snuck in on me

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 06, 2012, 04:39:42 PM
So what's with all the decoy questions Ronnie? You want to try some this season, dontcha? ;D
I've heard old bathtubs work too!!! ;)
Just trying to see how different my thinking is compared to other turkey hunters I guess.

Old bathtubs can make some great camo ;D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
...Just trying to see how different my thinking is compared to other turkey hunters I guess...

Psychiatrist needed.   ;)

Crappiepro

I like decoys set-up in the field but I don't dare use them in woods or close areas. We have alot of turkey hunters in Indiana. My biggest concern is another hunter coming in and thinking he's gonna shoot an unsuspecting bird. :fud:

guesswho

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 06, 2012, 05:58:29 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
...Just trying to see how different my thinking is compared to other turkey hunters I guess...

Psychiatrist needed.   ;)
:agreed: I don't deny that.   I read a lot of these threads and realize my turkey thinking isn't mainstream.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff