turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Turkey Gun after a Revelation

Started by BrowningGuy88, February 06, 2012, 12:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Well guys, I haven't been around in awhile, but I read here often.

Last season in preparation for the season, I bought some Nitro Blends and some 3-2-7's for my Winny 1300 NWTF. I was still shooting my Remington Nitro 3-1.25-5's in my little 870. I got on here and posted some big numbers from my 20 gauge and guess what - I CAN'T CALCULATE DISTANCE! My stepdad bought a range finder and we ranged our "40" yard shooting line. It was 32 yards. Those 140+ I was getting with my 20 turned into about 75 at a true 40 yards.

I have officially retired the 1300 NWTF due to sentimental value and 25 years of hard turkey hunting. My grandfather has taken over the Remington 870 20 gauge, so I am without a true T-gun for the first time in my hunting career. Well my Model 12 will suffice with lead 6's out to about 30 yards =/-, but I want a new T-gun that can be used for the occasional waterfowl hunt.

I went in my local gunshop with the intention of ordering a Remington 11-87SM, but he had a freshly delivered SX3 Black Shadow. I gave it a good look over and compared it with the 935, Gold 10ga, M2, SBEII, and a Tristar he had. Went home and decided to sleep on it and think it over. Now I am here asking for some advice.

I want to shoot an honest 175+ gun. I realize that I will be shooting WXRHD, H13, or Nitro ammo. Cost isn't a big deal compared to the other costs of turkey hunting. I will also keep some 3.5-2.25-6 supremes I have handy in case I get in a real thicket.

My question is this: Will the SX3 with a PG, JH, Sumtoy, or Rhino choke deliver 175+ with 3-2-XX or 3.5-2.25-XX? I don't know which shells I will shoot - probably Nitro's considering the performance I got from the Blends I shot the 4 coyotes with last year. I plan on running the bead sights if possible of a FFII so I can wingshoot also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't bought the gun yet and he can order me what ever I want.

Thanks
Daman

4nolz2

BrowningGuy88

Deputy 14

I would call William at Sumtoy and talk to him. Super good guy and obviously knows his chokes inside out. I'm sure he could build a choke for your gun to make it shoot whatever reasonable numbers you want.

fountain2

935 or sx3 for me...prolly 935 for straight turkey gun.  You should obtain 00+/- fairly easily with the 3-2-6 or step up to the 3.5" #7 in hevi 13 and go 300+ with the Sumtoy chokes.

I have a 1300 and plan to shoot it soon with the 3-2-6 and Sumtoy 650.  Hoping for another 200+ gun with that load.

TauntoHawk

start here, I talked to him this week. Honest guy who isnt going to sling BS to sell a choke but knows his guns, his chokes, and his turkeys.. he will set you up and you'll be pleased at the range and in the field

Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 06, 2012, 02:32:26 PM
I would call William at Sumtoy and talk to him. Super good guy and obviously knows his chokes inside out. I'm sure he could build a choke for your gun to make it shoot whatever reasonable numbers you want.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

allaboutshooting

Hey Daman,

It's good to see you back here. I have a 3" SX3 with a 28" barrel that will consistently put those kinds of numbers and a little more in 10" at 40 yards with 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. The numbers are of course higher with the #7s but since I know the #6's better and get good even coverage with them, that's what I prefer.

The engineers who designed that gun and the Maxus recommend a much tighter choke than many folks shoot with that gun. They recommend a .640 and have for some time with all the Invector+ barrels. It has more to do with the internal geometry than the exit diameter however, as you know.

I shoot as many different chokes as possible each year, just to see if anything has changed. I see excellent patterns, like those I've described, with different brands of choke tubes. The SSX has always delivered excellent patterns for me, the Hevi-13 turkey choke does a great job, the Pure Gold and JEB's are right there with them.

The advantage/disadvantage to the SX3 is the weight. It's very light, great to carry in the turkey woods, won't hurt you there but needs a little extra "padding" at the bench, even with the new Inflex recoil pad.

Lastly, it works and it's quick. Mine has never failed to cycle anything I've put through it. It's one I'd recommend.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

C J Stahly

I have a tristar with a 24 inch barrel. I shot the pg 670 with a dirty barrel. I got 182 in a 10 inch at a lasered 40yds. With 3" mag blends.   I don't see why any of those guns wouldn't produce a 175 pattern with a 3 or 3.5" shell

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

teke

Buy the SX3 great shotgun, cycles anything.

vaturkey

If cost is not a big deal then I would get IMO the best turkey gun out there & that would be the Benelli SBE 2 !   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

BrowningGuy88

My only issue with the SBE2 is the recoil. I hunt with a guy who has one and it kicks a whole lot harder than my step dad's SX3 with the same shells. I also don't care for the way a Benelli feels. The stocks feel funny to me - just don't fit right.

The Maxus is a very high on my list option. I like the magazine cutoff and could care less about the easy off forearm. I also like the option with the Maxus of being able to buy a 3" gun if I decide to go that way. Right now I am leaning towards 3.5", but with the patterns I am seeing from you guys and 3" shells, I am not sure 3.5 is necessary.

drenalinld

Quote from: Daman on February 07, 2012, 09:53:06 AM
My only issue with the SBE2 is the recoil. I hunt with a guy who has one and it kicks a whole lot harder than my step dad's SX3 with the same shells. I also don't care for the way a Benelli feels. The stocks feel funny to me - just don't fit right.

The Maxus is a very high on my list option. I like the magazine cutoff and could care less about the easy off forearm. I also like the option with the Maxus of being able to buy a 3" gun if I decide to go that way. Right now I am leaning towards 3.5", but with the patterns I am seeing from you guys and 3" shells, I am not sure 3.5 is necessary.

You won't be disappointed in the Maxus. Get the gun that fits best and feels best in your hands. You can find a choke and load combo to get the results you want.

As far as the SBEII kicking harder, it does have more recoil than an SX3, but that is because more energy is put in the shot leaving the barrel. The velocity will be higher because the bolt is locked until the shot exits the barrel. Gas operated automatics rob some of that energy to operate the bolt. It may not be enough energy difference to be worthwhile for you. I would be more concerned about the feel. If you don't like the SBEII's feel I wouldn't spend the money to get one. I have SBE, 2 SBEII's, Super Vinci, Gold 10 and 12, Maxus, SX2 and SX3, 1187 SM, 2 870 SM's, SP10, and Extrema2. The SBEII's and Extrema2 get most of the hunts with me.

BrowningGuy88

thanks drenalinld!

Good to hear from someone who owns every gun on my list. The only reason I even consider recoil is that I use to own one of the original Woodlands Camo Mossberg 835's. It gave me a flinch with 3.5" #4 lead shells. That is why I am avoiding a pump all together. I sold that Mossy and it took me two years to get rid of the flinch.

BrowningGuy88

Thanks Slicky!

I will go over to another shop and look at the Maxus again today. I will have to order the Maxus if I get one because no body around here has the Camo version. If I get a Maxus it will be in camo - If I am going to spend more than $1k before tax I will have camo.

Whatever I get will be running Nitro Ray Straight 7's or H-13 Straight 7's.