OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nova set up

Started by tyelper, February 05, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which choke

jelly head
12 (48%)
indian creek
8 (32%)
kicks gobblin thunder
2 (8%)
tight wad
0 (0%)
rhino
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 24

tyelper

well i thought about shooting the remington 4x6 duplex but seems nobody likes them,,,,,

honker22

Quote from: tyelper on February 07, 2012, 06:27:23 PM
well i thought about shooting the remington 4x6 duplex but seems nobody likes them,,,,,

... That's what this board is for, to help save others time and money.  The 4X6 duplex is possibly the worst patterning shell I've put through my gun.  I had bought them years back before anyone ever did much patterning.  When I patterned those loads (last year), I couldn't even keep the pattern on a 40"x40" sheet of paper. 

You will be MUCH better off with the HTL loads.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

tyelper

ok i must be dumb here whats htl,,,,,,,,,

Longshanks

Quote from: tyelper on February 07, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
ok i must be dumb here whats htl,,,,,,,,,

HTL  Heavier than Lead
HW  Heavy Weight
XR    Extended Range
Pb    Lead
PG    Pure Gold
JH    Jelly Head
GT   Gobbling Thunder
FC    Flight Control
POA   Point of Aim
POI  Point of Impact
IC     Indian Creek
TG     Tru Glo
SSX  Strut stopper Xtreme
300   300 in a 10 inch circle at 40yds
TSS    Tungsten Super Shot
TW   Tight Wad
Win  Winchester
HV    High Velocity
Fed   Federal
Sup   Supreme
PFC   Pre Flight Control
Bbl    Barrel

OG language..

tyelper

thanks now i understand over 100 post a lot better,,,,,

Longshanks

Quote from: tyelper on February 07, 2012, 11:00:45 PM
thanks now i understand over 100 post a lot better,,,,,

:icon_thumright:  Yea, its like another language..when i first got on here it was like they were speaking in code and i missed orientation..

mmusso

Have the same gun but with a 26" barrel. I tried both of those Rem Pb loads you mentioned, and they are probably not the choice if you're looking for patterns. As Honker22 also mentioned, the 4x6 duplex was absolutely horrible. I know people on here swear by Pb, and I'm not trying to start another Pb vs. HTL discussion, but for my gun, HTL out performed Pb through just about every choke I tried hands down. The best Pb shell for me was the Rem Nitro Mag 3.5" #6, and it gave me around 110 hits at 40yds.

As far as chokes go, you didn't mention the cheap, HS Strut Undertaker .655 (ported), but you should give it a look. It patterned better than any others in my Nova with the Pb and HTL loads I shot. Much better in my gun than the Jellyhead and half the price. May be another one you want to look at...

Good luck with it. That gun doesn't seem to pattern as well as many of the others on here, or at least it didn't for me and several people I've talked to.

offshore

after proof, i am a firm believer in every single gun shoots different.  buddy of mine and I bought novas the same day from the same dealer, everything identical.  mine shoots better with a PG, his shoots better with a JH.  we have swapped guns to see if we have a different style of holding the gun or anything that might be a little different, no change.  i cant explain it, i don't understand it, but it is true and thats all the proof i need

tyelper

well not to start an arument, i have killed turkeys for years with an 870 and stock full choke and rem nitro's 3'' number 6's,, i joined this sight listened to treads and tried to improve my pattern bought shell after shell and choke after choke and a few different guns, so yesterday i bought 1 box of winchester super x 3'' number 6 and a box of remington nitro, number,6  put all my tight wad chokes and undertaker tubers back in 3 870 and an 11-87 and shot everyone at 40 yards consitantly put 50 hits tight in the center of 10'' so im still a firm beliver it dont take 300 hits in a 10 '' target to kill birds,,,,,,,,

Longshanks

Quote from: offshore on February 10, 2012, 04:05:52 PM
after proof, i am a firm believer in every single gun shoots different.  buddy of mine and I bought novas the same day from the same dealer, everything identical.  mine shoots better with a PG, his shoots better with a JH.  we have swapped guns to see if we have a different style of holding the gun or anything that might be a little different, no change.  i cant explain it, i don't understand it, but it is true and thats all the proof i need

:agreed: that's been my experience with most guns.

Longshanks

Quote from: tyelper on February 10, 2012, 05:46:00 PM
well not to start an arument, i have killed turkeys for years with an 870 and stock full choke and rem nitro's 3'' number 6's,, i joined this sight listened to treads and tried to improve my pattern bought shell after shell and choke after choke and a few different guns, so yesterday i bought 1 box of winchester super x 3'' number 6 and a box of remington nitro, number,6  put all my tight wad chokes and undertaker tubers back in 3 870 and an 11-87 and shot everyone at 40 yards consitantly put 50 hits tight in the center of 10'' so im still a firm beliver it dont take 300 hits in a 10 '' target to kill birds,,,,,,,,

Yea, but I think I would rather shoot 300 than 50..but that's just me..misjudge 40 and it turns out to be 45..you will watch some birds fly off with 50 in 10 @ 40

tyelper

5 years 5 gobblers 5 shots

Longshanks

Quote from: tyelper on February 10, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
5 years 5 gobblers 5 shots

38 years of turkey hunting, 120+ gobblers, numerous states..and i can promise you if you shoot 50 in a 10in circle @ 40 you will watch turkeys fly off if you misjudge 40yds and it turns out to be 45-50.

tyelper

WELL i throw the jelly head choke in the drawer and put the undertaker choke in it and shot remington nitro 3'' number 5 in it this afternoon at 40 yards and got 157 so im satisfied,,,,,,,

honker22

those are great numbers with 5s
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.