OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nova set up

Started by tyelper, February 05, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which choke

jelly head
12 (48%)
indian creek
8 (32%)
kicks gobblin thunder
2 (8%)
tight wad
0 (0%)
rhino
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 24

tyelper

setting up a new benelli nova 12 gauge 28'' barrel which choke would you choose,  shooting either remington duplex 4x6 or remington nitro magnums

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tyelper on February 05, 2012, 07:00:19 PM
setting up a new benelli nova 12 gauge 28'' barrel which choke would you choose,  shooting either remington duplex 4x6 or remington nitro magnums

I'd choose the SSX or the Hevi-13 turkey choke for that gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bowhunter2k9

My buddy is shooting that same gun with .655 JH and Hevi13 Mag Blend, he gets around 220-230 in a 10 inch at 40yds
Romans 8:38-39

BrowningGuy88

I ran a PG last year in my 1300 and was very pleased. Any of the choices above should be good.

WVhuntEER

I have a supernova with a JH and shoot Nitro triplex.  Deadly!

jtg88

I run a .655 Jellyhead in my Nova and it will put up 275-295 with Hevi #7s and 330 with Nitro #7s

honker22

This doesn't answer your question but you may want to re-think your ammo choice.  I've shot both loads you mentioned and could not make a 40 yard gun out of either of those loads.  Try the heavier loads in 6 or 7s, or the mag blends.  Of course, you may get great results with those loads, but I have my doubts.  Either way, let us know what you get.  Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

fountain2

tyelper

well i went and looked at chokes tonight, picked each one up a dozen times but i ended up buying the jelly head in a 660 , now for the shells,,,,,,now as daman posted the nitro triplex are these remingtons or nitro company,,,,,

chatterbox

With my buddy's Nova we put a JH .655 in it with 3-2-6 Hevi-shot, we got a great 40 yard pattern. He never counted pellets, but the pattern, was very even and uniform.

socalturkeyman

I have a nova and a tight wad choke,I shoot federal flite controls in #5's. I will say I smashes birds. I only shot it once on a pattern board at 55 yards and got about 35 to 40 pellets which is not that great. Thats why When I shot my birds last year I had him at like 10 to 15 yards and he did a back flip.
Now I dont mean to hijack the post,but What do you guys think about the indian creek choke for this gun? I would like to switch to TTS loads and The tight wad cant handle the shot from what I hear.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

SumToy

:drool:I don't think any of the above.  :toothy9:

Now all jokes aside  I have had folks with the Kick's in the 650 with Win Ex-Range come by they shoot good.

Then the IC with the HV-13 look good. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

honker22

Quote from: socalturkeyman on February 07, 2012, 01:58:45 AM
I have a nova and a tight wad choke,I shoot federal flite controls in #5's. I will say I smashes birds. I only shot it once on a pattern board at 55 yards and got about 35 to 40 pellets which is not that great. Thats why When I shot my birds last year I had him at like 10 to 15 yards and he did a back flip.
Now I dont mean to hijack the post,but What do you guys think about the indian creek choke for this gun? I would like to switch to TTS loads and The tight wad cant handle the shot from what I hear.

Socal,
I shoot an IC .675 choke, non-ported, no wad catchers with TSS 9s out of my 21' bbl 870.  Not sure how that will translate in the Nova, but I've found the more open choke, the better.  The factory extra full also put up similar numbers.  I'm getting 300+ in the 10" and 350+ in the 20"
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

BrowningGuy88

The Nitro's mentioned here are from Nitro Ray. I ran them last year in Triplex 4x5x7 through the 1300 and will run his straight 7's this year. You will not touch Nitro Ray's loads anywhere unless you handload.

Doublej

Same gun and i got the .655 JH gunna be shooting either straight 7s or magblends