OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you use a decoy

Started by chad fenton, February 04, 2012, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55Bandit

mudhen

Most of the time.  Dave Smith when I do...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

handcannon

I have used them in the past and had little success with them but for me, they are just a pain in the butt to tote around in my vest along with all the other useless crap I tote to the woods. Usually, they sit on the back rack of the golf cart unless I plan on setting up on a dirt road or someplace where they can see for a good distance. I need to try some of the self inflating type that take up just a little space and maybe I might use them a little more.

Swamprunner

Looks like DSD attracts jakes

camp man

Like most, if I set up on a big field early in the a.m. If I am hunting in the woods...never. Just really depends on the situation.

MossRem

Used to. Don't now.
Like a few other people on here, I just don't want the hassle. Dekes used to work better for me but I guess the birds got smart really quick. I've actually seen public land gobblers walk away from them.
I get a little paranoid about the idea of using turkey decoys on public land from a safety point of view, too.

hoyt

I use to use them every hunt, yrs. ago and had some success as well as had them cost me gobblers. I move around a lot and cover lots of ground and just got tired of setting them up and taking them down. Don't even own any now.

If I hunted a lot of open fields and pastures I would probably use them, but hunt all public land and mostly woods.

mfd1027

Sometimes I do - sometimes I don't.   I kind of analyze the situation and what's going on.   They're a tool and definitely not a necessity.   Like someone else said it sure is a lot of fun watching them get beat up.    :turkey2: :drool:
Dan

jblackburn

I'll use a primos jake mobile early in the season, then I use my foam hen for a back rest.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

remmy1187

I almost always take them but almost never use them.  Might quit carrying them, just more STUFF to take.

Duke0002

I used them all the time.  Placement is a key (for me, anyway), especially in large hayfields.  Most of the time I know which direction birds will enter fields so I put them 25-30 yds past my set up.  When birds walk past me looking at the fakes, I have a good shot.

I use one in heavier cover cover where a 15 yd shot max is possible.  Put it 15 yds to my right or left where a gob can see it.  At the last second, a bird will glance at it and.....pow!

I'm considering the relationship of hen/jake decoys in my placement this spring.  May do something different this year.

reflexl

Early season I use them all the time. We hunt some huge fields and it gives the birds a focal point when they fly down. reflexl

Jbird22

In fields, almost always...in the woods, almost never

TennLongspur

I've had mixed results. I've seen them head right to them and I have seen them go the other way when they see them. Also, if you are hunting a field and don't have any action right away, they sure do get to looking fake the longer they sit out there not moving. But my thoughts on dekes is it gives the birds something to focus those beady eyes on other than me in case I have to shift to get my gun on him.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly