turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you use a decoy

Started by chad fenton, February 04, 2012, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

The only time i'll use one is if I'm hunting a guys property I have permission to hunt. He has some huge fields and if a gobbler can't see the hen thats calling (me) he won't get close to the edge. The fields don't have any places to set up in them away from the fence row's.

chatterbox

I am leaning on not using them this much this year.
I hunted a couple of spots where dekes spooked birds, so we were forced to change tactics.
I tell ya, it made for a couple of the most exciting hunts I have ever been on! There is nothing like hearing a bird hammer as he is looking for that "hen!"

Tuttle

Absolutely, I use them anytime I'm hunting a field.......until I get the first negative reaction, then they get put away.  I usually have great success with them in early season. 

Neill_Prater

Without intending to hijack this thread, what about the strutting gobbler decoys in particular? I bought one a couple of years ago, used it intermittently, but have never actually had it deployed when I called a bird in. I know they work great on hunting videos, and I bought one after a friend of mine told me there were 7 birds killed over his B-Mobile the first year he owned it. I'm also guessing they might work better in other states where the hunting season opens earlier than ours does in relation to the breeding cycle?

Shotgun

Woodsman4God

I did last year, Came right up to the Deek and started strutting, He had 2 live hens with him  when they started walking off he broke strut and I dropped the hammer on him

hd mike

Yes, they help when using the bow.
Also when taking first time hunters.

smitty1hunter

Usually set up with them first thing in the AM. later on if I do a little running and gunning they usually stay in vest.

Mossberg835

I use s hen and Jake whenever in a field.  Seems to get their attention and helps with hangups.

Hognutz

All depends on the situatuon. I do use them on some set-ups. I probably use them more than not, though..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WildTigerTrout

I carry one decoy, a hen, I very seldom use her though as I do ALOT of running and gunning in the woods. I'll put it this way I really prefer to hunt the old fashioned way, no blinds and no decoys.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

stinkpickle

Probably 75% of the time, especially on fields, which is where I have to hunt.  If I can set one up without running the risk of getting busted, I usually will.

BigHooks

Yes I do I hunt crop Fields, some of the times it don't matter what you use it depends on the bird. There's times it's help an times it hasn't. It sure is exciting watching a big tom come in on a Jake an submissive hen right infront of ya. Nothing better...

mossy835

Not yet but I am seriously considering it this year. It will depend on when I get over the mountain this spring.
:fud: :OGani:

jde

When hunting large field edges sometimes, have never put one out in tight cover though maybe I should give it a try might work.