OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Books

Started by Seth B, February 02, 2012, 10:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth B

What books would you recomend for a full on rookie?
Really looking for books but What about dvds?

KYFrid

"Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies" by Ray Eye would be a good book to pick up. As far as DVD's go, The Primos "Mastering the Art of Turkey Hunting" DVD would point you in the right direction.   

ElkTurkMan

Pick up a copy of a Fork in the Road by Tom Kelly.  It is for beginners, and comes with a very entertaining AND educational DVD.

antnye

Quote from: Hawken on February 03, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
Pick up a copy of a Fork in the Road by Tom Kelly.  It is for beginners, and comes with a very entertaining AND educational DVD.
:icon_thumright:
Got to read the tenth legion also.  Col. Kelly is an excellent writer.

runngun

Woodhaven's Real Turkey and Real turkeys 2 CDs is the best to me for learning to call. Kinda tunes my ear to the way different turkeys sound. It is what it says it is real turkeys and their different sounds. I believe Midwest turkey call has it for sale.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Any other recommendations guys????

Turkey Trot

Lovett Williams' books and discs.

Russell Lynch's pot calling DVD.

Tom Teasers mouth calling DVD.

Turkey Hunting Secrets DVD by Roger Raisch. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on February 14, 2012, 01:44:26 PM
Any other recommendations guys????
My favorate by far The Old pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery
The Turkey Hunting Wolrd of  Ben Lee
Turkey Hunting with Charlie Elliot
The Truth by Cuz Strickland
The old Pro Turkey Hunter can be hard to find, but it's an awesome read.  The Other three books can be found on Amazon or Midwest Turkey supply sometime has them.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 14, 2012, 01:51:40 PM
Lovett Williams' books and discs.

Russell Lynch's pot calling DVD.

Tom Teasers mouth calling DVD.

Turkey Hunting Secrets DVD by Roger Raisch. 

Turkey Trot - I have Rogers Book (actually I have 2) but never even seen or heard of his DVD.
I cant find it anywhere  on amazon or online....would you be interested in selling it, trade, or at least letting me borrow it for a few???

Nick

TANK

Anything by Tom Kelly..................... :icon_thumright:

Nick_The_Tinkerer

TennLongspur

This has already been said. But Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly. It isn't exactly a "how to" but it is a GREAT book. A must read for every turkey hunter.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

Hevi-5

Two of my favorites is 'Turkey Hunting Digest' by Jim Spencer and 'Talking Tomfoolery' by Earl Groves.   'Talking Tomfoolery 2000' is a reprint of the original and has more information in it, but is a very good book.  This one may be hard to find, but Jim Casada has some hard to find books for sale on his website.  Here's a link to the list of turkey hunting books.  I've gotten a few from him and from Amazon.  I'm reading W.E. Davis' 'The American Wild Turkey' now. 

Billy

http://www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com/Books/turkeyHuntingBooks.pdf

Hevi-5

Sorry - 'The American Wild Turkey' was written by Henry E. Davis.

bbcoach

I picked up Ray Eye's, "Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies" recently and have read it cover to cover twice.  I'm now going to particular chapters and gathering information to use during the season.  This book gives you particular information on calls, calling, sounds turkeys make along with there meanings and different chapters on roosting birds, first light tactics, early to mid morning tactics, setting up, tactics for late spring, hunting in bad weather and so on.  This is a Great Read for first timers and experienced hunters as well.  Ray writes this book from a Humble Ozark Mountains Turkey Hunter's prospective and wants to share his successes, so others can share his Passion for this sport.