OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Leather boot care

Started by Beretta686, February 02, 2012, 12:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

There have been many posts about snake boots and other hunting boots. All boots no mater who makes them must be cared for if you want them to last. I wear Russell Moccasin Snake boots and you have to take care of them for them to last. If you just put them on your feet and go, they will not last, the leather will deteriorate and they will leak.

So with turkey season coming up I began with another round of leather treatment. I have used this method and products for 20 years.

http://russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html

this will work on any leather boot. I will clean and treat them twice a year. Turkey season and during the summer when I'm hunting hogs.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

drenalinld

I am considering Russell Moccasin customs b/c I wear a 15 and can't find a snake boot, plus I like quality boots. How are they holding up? Would you purchase them again?

nitro

Best boots I have ever owned. Bar none. I have 6 different pairs.

Turkey Hunter Lites
Zephyrs
Double vamp Zephyrs
South 40 Bird Shooters x2
Safari PH Boots

The leather care stuff from Russell is great too. I beat up my Zephyrs something fierce.. Apply some of the Pecard's Leather Care Lotion and they look (relatively) new again. One pair is 10 years old. The double vamp Zephyrs are the most comfortable boots I have.

drenalinld - CUSTOM MADE in the USA to your Feet...  They are the shiz...

You can't go wrong. Trust me.... :toothy9:

My Turkey Hunter Lites have been to Durango, Mexico, and at least 15 states Turkey hunting (that I recall).. They are excellent in all types of terrain..

Never let money make up your mind- or separate you from the best gear you can buy. Over time, the initial investment will work out to 40 dollars a year or less, based on the long life of the boots..

Somewhere there is an article from the May/June 2006 Sporting Classics about Russell Moccasin Co.. the facts about the company, that they are custom made  in the USA.. etc,etc.. One of the most interesting parts of the article was how they made a pair of boots for a fellow in Iran who was a sheep hunter and had one foot that was deformed (basically, half a foot) Russell made him a pair of boots from his measurements... after receiving his boots and wearing them for a while, he reordered 10 pair..( Russell keeps your template on file)..

Outstanding service..  I made a point of going to Berlin,WI and meeting the staff in person when I was in the area on business.. They pulled my file and re-measured my foot while I was there.. Great folks.

I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Good luck!!
Royal Slam 2008

drenalinld

Beretta686

First pair I bought in 1993. When I had my hip replaced/leg lengthened in 2005 I sent them back to have the custom lift removed. They were not able to so I ordered another pair. I would still be wearing the original pair if they could have removed the lift.

I also own the Chukka boot and the PH

Best boots and shoes I have ever worn. The only catch is, you must maintain them.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

gaswamp

Listen to Nitro.  I remember Nitro going on and on about Russells on the GON forum.  I funally broke down and bought my first pair in 2007 and they get more comfortable every year.  Bought time for me to get another pair.

fl panhandler

I have a pair of Russell Turkey hunter snake boots.  They are on their 8th year and still no leaks.  I got tired of having to get a new pair of boots every other year because of leaking.  They are hands down the best and most comfortable boot I have ever had.  I am way over the price of them, and consider them a great investment in my feet. :)  
Rick