OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The first..................

Started by scott ellis, February 01, 2012, 08:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaspyD

Perfection Super Double D....or was it the RaspyD??   ;)
Perfection Turkey Calls

CASH

Quote from: Flydown on February 02, 2012, 07:46:55 AM
Quote from: CASH on February 02, 2012, 05:49:30 AM
Lohman's (sp) Pump Yelper. 2001. Horrible call.

You really bought one of those?  :TooFunny: Lol!   

My first call was an HS starter kit, I think it came with a hooter,crow call and a Lil Deuce slate (killed my first turkey with it)and I have no idea where any of it is anymore.

Yep.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

jyoung

Wow this post really brings back some good memories.  I used my grandpa's old stow-a-way slate with a homemade corn cop striker, his old original Lynch box, his old scratch box, a Primos Limbhanger mouth call, and a MAD Super Aluminator. These were the first calls I ever owned and have retired all of my grandpa's calls  to a shadow box now. Great, great memories!! Thanks!!

Jonathan
Jonathan Young

SWAMPFOX

grandfather got me turkey hunting as well. he gave his lynch jet slate and box call in 1984. also he started me on a wooden pushpin made in va. still have calls on shelf. first call i bought was h.s. strut box call that was black and green camo and never could make it talk turkey. i think that was 1990. oh how times have changed as i approach my 40th bday this year.
swampfox

Neill_Prater

Well, this is kind of a trick question. The first call I ever purchased was a Ben Rogers Lee box call, in 1977, the first year spring turkey hunting was legal in the county I then lived in. However, I never did learn to use that thing. In fact, I still own it, and still can't make it sound like a turkey! Back then, you couldn't run to your local store in this part of the country and pick up a call, and the box was the only thing I could find.

The first calls I was successful with were Perfection diaphragms, purchsed through a magazine ad, along with an instructional tape featuring Jim Clay and Tom Duvall. I used one to kill my first turkey in 1979.

BigGobbler

I started out with a mouth call I made from a pair of rubber gloves and condoms. Then I always used Quaker boy and now using some hooks.

Basser69

Ben Lee, twin hen around 79-80. I still have it and try to take her out at least once a year

lightsoutcalls

The first call I bought was a lohman push pin call.  I never used it in the woods, but messed around with it in the house.  The first call I used succesfully on a hunt was a mulberry slate call that I made.  That call still rocks.  I may have to slip it in the vest this year just for nostalgia sake.  :icon_thumright:
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ElkTurkMan

A Lohman Diaphram call was my first Turkey call.  I baught back in 1986.

stinkpickle

It was a Perfection mouth call back in the mid-80's.  I don't remember what it was called, but it was blue, and I think it was a double reed.   :D

nyturkeyduster

Quaker Boy Beginner's Double way back in 1995 when I was 7 years old.

CSAW

Pretty sure I couldn't run it worth a hoot, but it was a diaphragm made by our Principal.  He would occassionally hand a few out in the hallway.  Can't remember the year, late 80's to early 90's. 

stinkpickle

Quote from: CSAW on February 02, 2012, 12:22:07 PM
Pretty sure I couldn't run it worth a hoot, but it was a diaphragm made by our Principal.  He would occassionally hand a few out in the hallway.  Can't remember the year, late 80's to early 90's. 

I remember those.  I was never really sure that he didn't test them out first.   :D

Beretta686

Lynch Jet Slate I can remember. I have a couple of Ben Lee and an Eddie Salter glass call.

I can remember when woodhaven first came out and I was at a sporting good store in Montgomery and the rep was selling the calls out of his car to the store. I bought my first yellow wasp mouth call that day.

I'm going to take the Eddie Salter glass call to Nashville next week and see if I can get him to sign it.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

stone road turkey calls

I have a box call that belonged to my grandfather who I never met. was given to me over 40 years ago, i'm so afraid something may happen to it I just leave it in the vault. never used it. first bought call ben lee box in the 70s
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call