OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Big Spurs

Started by bgbuck153, February 01, 2012, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonemonger

Fullfan

Executioner

Great collection, I see most are from the Show Me state. I have hunted Texas and Shannon counties for the past 23 years, and I have never seen and thing that you could poke your eye out with. What part of the state are your birds with the good hooks coming from?
Don't gobble at me...

jblackburn

1 1/4 for me, but never had one with a pair that long.  Always one broke off or just shorter.  Longest pair is 1 1/8
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jarbo03

1.5" is the biggest for me.  Biggest bird I have shot had the shortest spurs.  Bird was 28.8 lbs with an extremely wide 19.5" beard.  His spurs were only 7/8" long, but both were completely rounded off, they were almost 1" wide where they came out of the leg, will try to find pics.
This is only pic I could find of bird.

chipper

1 1/4" for me but I've called up 3 that were 1.5 and wasn't the one shooting. One of those birds was a double beard with 20.5" of beards.

dawgfrombama

Unfortunately where I hunt they don't live long enough to get big spurs.   ;D  I've killed several with 1in to 1 1/4.  The best being nearly 1 3/8.

Here's some good ones from last yrs texas hunt.

1 5/16

1 1/4

YELPA

h2obil

1   9/16        eastern

Rockhound

Quote from: Fullfan on February 03, 2012, 07:11:02 PM
1 1/2 is the best I can do. Hunted 6 states and 30 years for this guy. And he came from about a mile from the house
man that bird traveled alot
:TooFunny:

MKMGOBL

That's me on the left in the photos from that morning and then the display I had done up.

23lb
10 ½" Beard
1 11/16" Right Spur
1 7/16" Left Spur

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

TennLongspur

Quote from: woodchip on February 01, 2012, 11:24:25 PM
1 1/16 is the longest I have killed.

That hook in your profile picture looks longer than that.

1 5/8" for me - but since there are no more birds in SAlabama, I do most of my hunting now in tennessee where the terrain is mountainous and rocky. They get broken off and don't tend to get as long here.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

Tail Feathers

A beautiful matched set of 1 7/16" spurs on a Rio.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

bgbuck153

UMMMMMMMMM MORELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!