turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Disappointed in the "Haint"......

Started by HoggleGobble, January 31, 2012, 07:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggleGobble

Well...... Unless you are the two guys in the YouTube video..... or the next prodigal turkey hunter that can do all...... then good luck with the Haint gobble call. Now, I know calls take time, patience, and practice. Heck, it took me about 4 years on a diagram to blow a mouth call that didn't sound like a dying turkey!! But when I went to the local outdoors store and tried to blow this thing, I sounded like a crow imitating a machine gun. I tried and tried and tried..... Then the guys behind the counter were like, "Good luck with that thing! We all have one at the house and NONE of us can blow one." They said that they will try to get the DND boys there to show people how to do it. But in my opinion, if you have to have a DND rep show you how to blow a call, even after you watched the 'How To' video, then I don't need it. I have never been so optimistic in a turkey call as I as after watching the video, only to be heart broken when I blew the call!!! I really hope I was just COMPLETELY blowing it wrong.... And there may be some of you that blow it and love it, and if you do then my hat's off to you and you are the man!!! Maybe the new Knight & Hale 'Hale Fire' call will sound decent when it is for sale in mid-February..... All I know is if I have some Houndstooth Calls in my vest, then I have all I need for the spring!!!!!! In my opinion they are the best calls to ever hit the turkey woods, hands down....

But if you don't believe me about the "Haint", then go try one for yourself. The motto should be "Haint" nobody gonna blow this sucker!!

TauntoHawk

thats all I keep hearing about the call, think I'll end up holding off a season and see what comes out next year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lightsoutcalls

Sounds like it "Haint" workin' for you, huh? 

I've never seen the calls, so I can't offer you help with them.  I have used a tube call to gobble as well as voice gobble.  I seldom use either method, but have gotten birds to gobble to both.
I know I find myself in the same situation with a trumpet call.  I have one of Alan Sentell's early trumpet calls that will produce some incredible sound.  However, in my hands it doesn't perform to its potential. In my case it is user error rather than the quality or potential of the call.  If you like the sounds others make with it, keep after it and see if you can master it.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

HoggleGobble

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on January 31, 2012, 09:31:12 AM
Sounds like it "Haint" workin' for you, huh? 

I've never seen the calls, so I can't offer you help with them.  I have used a tube call to gobble as well as voice gobble.  I seldom use either method, but have gotten birds to gobble to both.
I know I find myself in the same situation with a trumpet call.  I have one of Alan Sentell's early trumpet calls that will produce some incredible sound.  However, in my hands it doesn't perform to its potential. In my case it is user error rather than the quality or potential of the call.  If you like the sounds others make with it, keep after it and see if you can master it.

You are probably right. I know 99% of us want to pick up a call for the first time and blow it perfectly, but that is almost never the case. I enjoy trying to master new calls, and I may try to blow it again.... But just seeing everyone's frustration on their face was kind of a let down. Usually, If I can hear one person blow the call correctly, then I am a sucker for buying it. I see that Zach has his working correctly though. Hopefully people on here will prove me wrong, so I can talk myself into buying one, but right now I just don't see that happening. Zach, would you mind posting a video of you blowing the call so some of us can hear somebody blow it besides the two on the Youtube video?

GobbleNut

After reading this thread, I watched the video.  I don't know for sure, but I am assuming from the way the guys were blowing the calls that they are just modified versions of a tube call,...with a stretched latex reed of some sort inside the call.  Anybody, with some practice, can take a tube call and make a respectable gobble with it,...or for that matter, a mouth call will do the same. 

Of course, if my presumption that the Haint call is just a modified version of a tube call is incorrect, ...then I stand corrected and withdraw my comments above.

:newmascot:

Houndstooth Game Calls

I think I know why some folks are having trouble with the call I think I said. After looking closely at the call it looks to be a set of goose guts in the call they could be modified and it's not a two piece call. Well inserting those guts in a one piece call they would tend to move a little when inserting and goose guts aren't the easiest to tune hence that's why most calls are two pieces. Plus on a goose call 2 piece call that is you can see the reed sitting on tone board to a seasoned goose caller he would know if the reed needs to move up or down for the call to be some what tuned. One thing I do know I know goose guts when I see them. JMO. To the fellas that can blow them keep practicing the you tube clips of DND sound good. They oughta work in the woods!!

drenalinld

It is a plastic reed not a latex reed. After working hard the last few months to learn tube, trumpet, and scratch box, I can feel your pain about not sounding good right off with a new call....

Practice does pay off.

Gobble!

I just got mine yesterday. Used it for about an hour and in that time I made 1 good gobble. It just takes time. It's not a call most run right out of the box like they say but I believe if used correctly it will make a good gobble.

RutnNStrutn

Well, mine is on the way. So I guess I'm gonna have my neighbors wondering what the heck is going on in my house for a while. :lol:

ThicketThrasher

I like the sound of the call, but after reading the reviews on here, I think I'll just stick to my crappy tube gobble. I will still say that in the right hands a tube gobble sounds more realistic.

turkey-slayer

I ordered this call over a week ago and just got it in my hands. It will be a "learning curve" to be able to use it like it should be used but I will give it some time. I have successfully made a few decent gobbles on it already but sometimes it doesn't work for me. It took me a while to learn how to use trumpets and suction yelpers but I will give this "Haint" gobble call a good workout before giving up on it completely. If it doesn't work out for me to use it in the turkey woods then I can always go back to using a tube caller. Lets face it I'm just another person looking to get the edge on Mr. Turkey.

Bustabeak

I have use one and still practicing on it. I took the insert/guts out the other night and lost the dang reed. It went down the air duct! Now this is the first call I've used from DND and I emailed them and told them how stupid I was in taking the guts out over the vent. They told me to send the call in and they'd repair or send out a new call free of charge. Even after telling them it was my mistake. I still need a lot of practice and I have a youtube video on here of me "trying" to blow the call. but i like the call and every once in a while I can get it to sound ok...  but I thought it was nice of them to replace/ repair the call at no charge. Just shipping on my part to them.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I did hear knight and hale had a gobble call that was fixing to be released that looks like a goose.

StruttinGobbler3

Well, I'll have a review in a few days because i just ordered one. I also ordered the ten dollar instructional DVD along with it. Hopefully this will shorten the learning curve somewhat.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on February 01, 2012, 12:00:52 AM
I did hear knight and hale had a gobble call that was fixing to be released that looks like a goose.

Be careful which end you blow on that thing...  ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!