turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pistol grip stock cheek slap

Started by huntinhard, February 19, 2011, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntinhard

So I got out on the range with my 835 today. Used my pistol grip stock for the first time and I have to say it beat the heck out of my cheek.  After the first shot got my attention, I thought I must be a little loose on the stock so i really dug into it, and it didnt help. I took seven shots and pretty much got poiand poa in the same place but couldn't do all the shooting I wanted as it hurt.

Did some research when I got home to see what I was doing wrong and I think I must be too far into the stock, meaning I should get my head further back.  Anybody else have any insight into what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help. The stock is a fixed ATI btw

Skeeterbait

Same stock I am using.  I am using a reflex sight that raises my head and I have no problems at all.  However I first was shooting the factory fiber optic sights with that stock and had no problems then either that I can remember.  I would agree with trying placing your cheek weld a bit farther back.  Might also think about your butt placement on your shoulder.  Maybe try placing the butt higher on your shoulder to decrease muzzle rise and reduce the need to crane your head down as low.  Keep a good grip on the forearm also to control muzzle rise.  Regardless I will say I enjoy shooting my 835 a lot more with the reflex sight due to the higher sightline.

BigPeck215

+1 on reading your head up, my pistol grip on my 870 beats the crap outta me using rifle sights but i have no problem when i use my red dot since its higher than the rifle sights it doesn't hit my cheek and i can rest my chin on the stock instead

jayslim

If you plan to shoot open sights you might want to look at getting a set that sits a little higher off the barrel rib like truglo or williams. A holo or red dot does this for and gets your cheek off the stock. 

bird

I wonder if this could be a problem with the ATI not being a shock absorbing stock like the Knoxx stock?  I have not noticed this problem with the Knoxx stock but have heard some people complain when they add the cheek piece to the Knoxx stock then those individuals will then have issues with the cheek piece becoming uncomfortable because of the recoil.  I do use a FastFire II and I like to have the stock as short as possible so that I have the gun pulled in real tight and close in my shoulder pocket for personal preference.

hookedspur

Quote from: bird on February 20, 2011, 08:59:59 AM
I wonder if this could be a problem with the ATI not being a shock absorbing stock like the Knoxx stock?  I have not noticed this problem with the Knoxx stock but have heard some people complain when they add the cheek piece to the Knoxx stock then those individuals will then have issues with the cheek piece becoming uncomfortable because of the recoil.  I do use a FastFire II and I like to have the stock as short as possible so that I have the gun pulled in real tight and close in my shoulder pocket for personal preference.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

huntinhard

I've actually got the williams sights which do sit a little bit higher.  I'm thinking it was a combination of having my head to far foward and not haing a real good grip on the  forearm. I was shooting with the gun on a trigger stick which is usually what I hold onto with my traditional stock, which apparently isn't going to work with the pistol grip.
Thanks for your help guys
:thanks:

knightrider

after a couple shots i learned to not put my face so far forward :anim_25:

Skeeterbait

I suspect you have found your answer.  I sight in sitting in a chair and use a stoney point bipod.  I put the fork of the bipod just behind the forearm.  This way I can turn my palm away from me, hold the barrel and mag tube in the web of my hand, and still control the bipod with my ring and little finger.  Gives a good grip on everything and holds the front down.  You need to sit up streight and relax your back also so the recoil can push your body back, roll back with it.  I see people trying to sight a shotgun on a bench, hunched forward, stiff and braced for the recoil, with no grip on the forearm.  No wonder they develop a trigger jerk and flinch problem and always leave the range with a headache and brused cheek.

n2deer

I had the same problem with a bps 10g.

I added a foam piece that goes on your cheek weld area it helped a lot.

Did it bruise your cheek? Mine did.

huntinhard

Quote from: n2deer on February 20, 2011, 12:27:29 PM

Did it bruise your cheek? Mine did.

I thought for sure I was gonna be really black and blue but its just faintly purple and sore to the touch today.