turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Went with #6s !?!

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 19, 2011, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I had my wife grab two boxes of Hevi 13 #6 for my new 3.5" 870.  I had a hard time deciding between them or the 7s.  I went with them for the extra energy offered down range.  I hope I can get the gun deadly out to 50 with them.

knightrider

wisconsinteacher

The way I read the charts, I need to get 1/4 or better of the load in 10" at 50 to be confident.  Is that do able?

Gobble!

yes and thats do able with the 7s

devin4484

you'll have no problem with that!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on February 19, 2011, 10:05:13 PM

Yes it is and then some. 

#6's have long been the most popular shot in lead loads.  That trend seems to pass down to htl loads.  But once the fear of using 7's gets wiped out of peoples minds that it will work as good if not better than 6's it will soon one day be the most popular size shot in the Hevi-13 loads I honsestly believe.  The pattern density that 7's give you over 6's will eventually win over the hardcore 6 crowd and kill maybe even farther due to the better number of actual hits on target. 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobble!

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 19, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on February 19, 2011, 10:05:13 PM

Yes it is and then some. 

#6's have long been the most popular shot in lead loads.  That trend seems to pass down to htl loads.  But once the fear of using 7's gets wiped out of peoples minds that it will work as good if not better than 6's it will soon one day be the most popular size shot in the Hevi-13 loads I honsestly believe.  The pattern density that 7's give you over 6's will eventually win over the hardcore 6 crowd and kill maybe even farther due to the better number of actual hits on target. 

x2

wisconsinteacher

It looks like I made a mistake on my buy.  I will save up and buy a box of 7s next time I get to the store.

Mailman

No mistake they will work fine. Shoot them with confidence. Then next time try 7's
One Shot One Kill

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quote#6's have long been the most popular shot in lead loads.

Winchester sells more of the #5 Lead turkey loads.

doole44

wisconsinteacher

I called the store where I got them and they said I could return them and get the #7s if I wanted.  Now I have to make up my mind.  I will be shooting them out of an 870 with a 26" barrel.  I have 3 SumToy chokes to try.  .660, .665, and .670"  So should I keep the 6s or go with the 7s?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Shoot them against some 7's and see what I told you above to be true.  Both will kill a turkey just fine. 

VAHUNTER

i have shot them all. i started with 6's. last spring i bought 2 box's of 7's and 2 box's of MB.
i got the best pellet count with the 7's 270 at 40
the MB gave a good pattern as well at 235
but i'm getting a consistant 230 to 238 with H 6's

so 6's will continue to be my load of choice.
Good things come to those who wait