turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking to swap it up this year

Started by Bustabeak, January 29, 2012, 10:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I've shot the winchester supreme's 3-1/2 #6's for years and they haven't let me down but, I'm hearing a lot of buzz over all the new loads out there. What will everyone be using this year?

wmahunter

1-7/16 oz of tungsten 9's in my 20ga.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bustabeak on January 29, 2012, 10:36:18 PM
I've shot the winchester supreme's 3-1/2 #6's for years and they haven't let me down but, I'm hearing a lot of buzz over all the new loads out there. What will everyone be using this year?

Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with both #6 and #7 shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

GOLD HUNTER

i will be loading the TSS 8's, if i dint load my ammo i would hunt with the 4x5x7 hevi-shot nitros.

brian

dmatheny21

I'm new to this forum and have done most of my turkey learning on my own.  I have noticed a lot of people talking about this #7 shot.  I have been shooting #6's and have had great results until last year.  I went 3 for 4, but the one that got away (I'm pretty sure I killed him a couple hours later) was farther than I anticipated.  It happened real fast and when I went to look for him I found pellets all in the trees right where they should be, but barely penetrated through the bark.  I could pull them out with bare fingers.  When I sat down, I figured my longest shot would be at around the 50 yard mark.  My gun is capable of that, but I like them much closer.  Anyways long story short.  The bird came out at the farthest point (close to sixty yards) and wasn't going to stick around, so I made a quick decision.  I let him have it and was disgusted at what I found.  I understand that smaller shot gives a more even pattern and more pellets in the kill zone, but does it (hevi shot) make up for knock down power. 
If you give 10 people a bag of gold, one person will complain about it being too heavy!!!

FullChoke

1-5/8 ounces of #9 handloaded TSS Terror.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Gobble!

mcgruff1533

Hevi 3-2-7 shells, absolutely the best patterning rounds I've ever fired from my shotgun.

stinkpickle

Probably H13 3-2-7's...maybe some 3-2-6's too.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

njdevilsb

I'll either be shooting my handloaded Hevi #7's or H13 3.5" #7's out of my 12 gauge.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'm shooting nitro 4x5x7 hevi-shot loads out of my browning and hevi-13 6s out of my 870 supermag.

I see no reason to shoot lead given the terminal ballistic performance and patternability of htl loads.

cannonball

bawana

BowBendr