Recommend an all around choke?

Started by houser52, January 29, 2012, 08:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

I got a .655 in a Nova and it is a tight shooting gun - 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

houser52

Thanks guys. That will get me in the ballpark. Like ya'll said I'll just have to try them in my guns.

With the weather in the mid 60s and the sun shining here for the past few days I kinda getting the fever.
I tried turkey hunting around here many years ago when the population was low and never had any luck but now I see turkeys pretty regular.
I even dug out my old VHS turkey hunting tapes from the mid 90s tonight. Knight, Hale, Bill Jordan and the rest all look like kids 17 years ago.  :laugh:

houser52

Spuriosity,

The info on constriction clears things up a bit, thanks. If I'm understanding it right a .665 choke in a Benelli would be too open at 40 yards but should have a good pattern at 25-30 yards?
I guess you could have a couple different size chokes to use depending on the terrain where you're hunting (dense woods or open field) if you wanted to.

houser52

Quote from: jtg88 on January 29, 2012, 10:04:49 PM
Welcome.  Several guys on here like Puregold chokes.  They might not be the tightest patterning choke available, but they marketed as throwing nice, even patterns.

I looked at some good Pure Gold threads today so I emailed Pure Gold and spoke with Bradley. I explained what I had in mind and he recommended that I give the PG .670 a try. He said that choke patterns good at most killing distances. It delivers a good pellet count at 40+ yards plus it not so tight that I couldn't make the shot at a close turkey when using a bead sight.
If I'm not satisfied with it I can send it back for a refund or try their new .660 choke which comes out next month.
I think I'm going to try it.